• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about that stuff you get from radio shack..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vexx

The white goop you put on the cpu to hold the heatsink on.. you know what its called :D anyway.. Im going to be putting a intel stock hsf on my 2.4c when it comes! today yay! .. do I take that black tape off that comes on the hsf? and how much goop do I put on the cpu to stick it to it, and later on can I remove it if I want to put on a bigger hsf

definitley take off the "black tape". that's the thermal pad and it'll interfere with the thermal grease. you should only put a thin layer on the cpu, spread it out as much as possible. to prepare the heatsink, put some of that white goop on it, then rub it in, using your finger in a ziplock bag. then wipe it off with a lint free cloth, install heatsink. and yes, you can remove it if you wish to put on a bigger hsf, just remember to clean the white goop off (using 70% or higher rubbing alcohol) and reapply the stuff on the new hsf.

Back