• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet but powerful fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey You

Registered
Can someone point me to a list of fans where the technical information such as size, cfm and dBa have been conveniently tabulated for a quick perusal or do I have to make one from the hodge podge of one shot fan reviews?

if you go to sidewindercomputers.com, they have a listening room where you can hear all of their fans. Pretty cool. They also have a great deal on Sunon 80 mm fans, 2 for $10 (saw it in the cyber deals forum), its a 39.5CFM, 33db fan.

The quietest yetn most powerful solution I imagine would be a 92mm Vantec Tornado on a speed controller...or just doing a 7v mod or a 5v mod on it probably would do the trick...

For a 7V mod I think what you do is switch the yellow wire and the red one...I think...(in the molex connected to the fan's wires)

Not sure about the 5v mod but I think you can search on the forums for it
Fold and Frag on
Brian

Last edited:
For the 7V mod, you leave the red fan wire on the yellow. You take the black fan wire and attach it to the red PSU wire.

For the 5V, leave the black fan wire on the black PSU wire. Take the red fan wire and put it on the red PSU wire.

You can never go wrong with Panaflo's. Super quiet fans with great CFM. These things are so quiet that I had to put my ear to it just to hear it. ( Everything in and around my room what turned off )

I looked at that silent pc review page and I think I'm gonna' go with the Sunon KD1212PMB1-6A. I provides a 2/1 ratio of CFM / dBa.

Thanks all!

Hey You said:
I looked at that silent pc review page and I think I'm gonna' go with the Sunon KD1212PMB1-6A. I provides a 2/1 ratio of CFM / dBa.

Thanks all!

np, they are quick, I ordered my stuff from them on wed. and got it on fri. They don't overcharge for shipping either.

GameFAQsRolo said:

120mm Vantec Tornado? Where?:eek:

Oops my bad :eek: I meant 92mm...got a bit confused there fora second when I was looking at a website I saw the stealth and for a second thought tornado :rolleyes: Boy that would be an awesome fan :D *will edit post*

And thanks for correcting what I said, and furthering the volting on the fans Caffinehog :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

bubba gump said:

Oops my bad :eek: I meant 92mm...got a bit confused there fora second when I was looking at a website I saw the stealth and for a second thought tornado :rolleyes: Boy that would be an awesome fan :D *will edit post*

And thanks for correcting what I said, and furthering the volting on the fans Caffinehog :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Yea, I'm still dreaming about a 120mm Tornado. I wonder how much turbulence it would cause in my room?:D

Just a heads up, remember that every 3-4 db added to the sound level doubles the noise. In other words, 2x20db fans make as much noise as 1x23db fan.

Most people assume that they could buy one powerful 40 db fan instead of two 20s but you need more than ten 20db fans to equal the noise.

Back