• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I fubared my NF7-S 2.0's Bios.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

Well this morning... in a frantic rush for work. I checked my computer that I left running prime all night. It had stopped after 6 hours, @ 2350 @ 1.775. Oh well... so I was going to change the voltage and Mhz and then leave it burning in while at work.

I go into the bios, im really tired and I was about the change around the FSB and Multi when I though... crap I cant multiply in my head right now... So I decided to just drop the fsb 2mhz and shut it off. I did... I go to save.

Now whats weird is.. sometimes you get the Red Thing across your screen saying its saving and sometimes you dont. Well im really used to my old Mobo that doesnt have to do the saving thing "dont shutoff" screen, so as soon as I hit save and exit... and as soon and the screen went black I press and hold the power button. As im holding it... i look up to the monitor and see the "DO NOT SHUTOFF" thing... and I was like OH SH#$ as the computer turned off. I tried to turn it back on... it wont beep... no post... fans spin but no ones home. I do the cmos clearing just for fun thought I know its hopeless, it doesnt work.

Anyway... its a good thing ExcaliberPc, the ones who sell the bios recovery chips, is local to me. They wont let me pick one up though.. which is retarded... but I order one using UPS ground. The women said it would only take a day.

I always thought the people who screwed up their bios were idiots... well now ive joined the club.

You're makin me laugh, but I know it's not funny.

I went ahead and ordered a backup when I got the board, even though they say the problem's resolved, because with my luck someone would hit the pole down the street at the same time I'm messin with things.

wow - glad I looked at this thread. That seems like a really bad bios design. I've never seen a mobo that has a 'bios saving' screen like the nf7 does.

I think every other Nforce2 board either has the screen or will exhibit the same problem if computer is shut down before post. It's Nforce2-fault.

Yeah I never had the screen on my Asus A7V8X.... so I was used to just hitting the power button. The weird thing about the NF7 and that save screen is it seems random when it does the red "SAVING DONT SHUTOFF" I find it odd how sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt. I hope a bios can fix this but ill have a backup from now on.

Yeah so its very cool how excaliberPC is only 8 miles from my house. So I ordered the kit and today I checked the tracking number and its already on its way to be delivered.

Right now im at work so I am on a different computer, but I wish excaliber would have let me save 5 bucks and pick the kit up.

It shows the red screen only when saving FSB / CPU Interface settings. I think it is someway related to where those settings are actually saved. Normally FSB settings are saved in CMOS, but IIRC in the case of Nforce2-boards it's actually flashed to the rom in the same manner as updating bios (? not sure of this).

i ordered the deluxe bios recovery kit after i couldnt get my computer to work (turns out the video card was a bit loose)...haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood)

One time my board just never booted after making changes in bios. The screen went black as usual and then nothing. I had to turn the power off to restart it. It wouldn't boot. So I cleared cmos. Again, nothing. This time I unplugged the psu, held the power button to discharge the caps and cleared cmos for about a minute. Then it powered up again and everything was fine.

I noticed the DO NOT TURN COMPUTER OFF screen comes up only after changing the fsb and mulit I believe.

Back