• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry - another Dual Channel Q?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

I would like a SIMPLE straight answer.

If I am using 768 pc3200 (one 256 module in each slot) am I in Dual Channel Mode?

Yes or No?

Are there any programs that I can download that identify when the board is in dual channel? If yes, what is the program and please post a link. Thanks!

as long as its same size and your in slots 1&3 or 2&3 your in dual ddr mode. Also the latest 7.2 bios shows on startup if your in dual or single mode (if you turn off full screen logo)

The dual DDR architecture features two 64bit controllers combining to create a 128bit memory interface. The two 64bit controllers work independently and by theory, outperform a single 128bit controller...One controller read/writes while the second controller prepares for the next memory access thus hopefully reducing latency and increasing overall performance...the two controllers work independently...so you can have all 3 slots filled and still be in dual channel mode...

Last edited:
I was unsure about all 3 slots being used and still in DC so i asked MSI moderator and this is what i got back and this is 100% correct as they have direct contact with MSI.

From MSI mod

From what I understand there is a way to do it with all three populated on the nForce2, but you would need to have the two controllers to have the same amount of RAM total. So, Controller 1 with 256+256 and Contoller 2 with 512 as an example. Still I do not find this to be optimal since the sticks are missmatched and we know how picky nForce is!!!

The best solution and garaunteed Twinbank is 2 matched sticks.

Well, right now I'm running 256, 256, 256 - pc3200 TwinX memory and at the boot screen it says DUAL CHANNEL MODE.

I guess that's incorrect according to [T-A]_Super_10.

By the way, programs do run better and load faster with more ram, even if it's not in dual channel mode.

Back