• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN35N 400 Ultra & MN31N MoBos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balrog

Hello All, Looks kinda quiet here in the Shuttle Forum. In the past couple of monthes I've purchased 2 of Shuttles lastest MoBos, the ATX - AN35N 400 Ultra and the mATX MN31N. I personally find these to both be great little boards, the MN31N LAN rig has most of the features you'd expect in a mATX board, onboard graphics, sound, LAN, USB2. This one also has 1394 Firewire support and has the MCP-T chipset for really good onboard sound via the ALC 650E. It even supports mild OCing with memory and FSB adjustments, no voltages or multis so you won't get too far without mods, but thats not what this board is for anyway. I find the IGP capable of playing BF1942, RTCW and various other games @1024 x 768 X 32bit color which looks fine to me on a 17" monitor, not hard-core gaming stuff but for the occasional gamer pretty good I think. The AN35N 400 Ultra is a budget OCing/Gaming board with the newest 400Ultra chipset which supports 200FSB and PC3200 memory, it has a good amount of OC options but no chipset voltages. I'm currently running a 1700+ JIUHB DUT3C @185FSB for 2.04ghz with Crucial PC2700 in sync @ 6-2-2-2.5, while running Prime95 Torture Test in the background, again nothing mind boggling, but the MoBo only costs $61.00 and the 1700+ is only $44.00 and I'm not done yet . So if your like me, without a whole lot of money to throw at a new rig, you might want to check out one of these new Shuttles out.
Regards, Balrog

Last edited:
I myself recently picked up an AN35 Ultra 400. I am quite impressed with what I got for $60. I also have a 1700+. Unfortunately the ram I have is Crucial 2100 and it cannot run 166fsb stable so right now I am running my cpu at 2.04ghz (stock multiplier) with a 138 fsb. With some good ram this board should really scream.

Edit:

Look at shuttle's site. The newest bios unlocks multipliers 11.5,12,12.5

Heh, seems like I got it at just the right time. Nforce2 for $60 I knew it was too good to be true :p.

Hello All, Well I got the board running 200FSB with a 10X and mem in [email protected] not bad for a budget board and Crucial PC2700. It required 1.7 Vcore and 2.7V Ram voltage and max rpm on my V-11 to keep it under 40C, it was a bit too loud for my tastes. I've settled in at 185FSB with 11X and mem@ 6-2-2-2.5, its fast, its stable and best of all very, very quiet - 3000 rpm on V-11 for 37C. Memtest and Prime run fine, games play great, benchmarks are good, I'm happy. I've got a AQXEA Barton 2500+ in a mATX LAN rig, maybe I'll throw it in the AN35N sometime to see what it will do. Enjoy your boards All!
Regards, Szandor

Well I couldnt get OCZPC3200 to work in this board. And several reviews confirm that Corsair doesn't work too well either. But my Crucial 2100 works fine and hopefully so will the Mushkin I ordered :).

Hello All, Keep me posted on the Mushkin FP1, as I'll probally be buying some better memory this Fall and I've heard those sticks are some pretty good stuff.
Regards, Balrog

So far so good.

205 fsb
6-3-3 CL2.0

Havent seriously tried higher yet, I will keep you posted on how it goes.

update. The Blue Line 3200 seems to have topped out at around 230fsb 9-3-3 Cas3 timings. Not bad.

Hello All, Nice job FP1! Thats putting some heat to it. I had my WD 800JB go wacko on me last weekend, so I'm running in reduced mode this week waiting for my RMA :( Using an old 8.6G 5400rpm drive I had kicking around, very, very, very slowwwww! Such is life, hopefully the new drive will be here for the weekend as gaming with this drive suxs arse.
Regards, Balrog

Thanks, the only gripe I have about this mobo is the fact that it only goes up to 2.7 vdimm.

funnyperson1 said:
Well I couldnt get OCZPC3200 to work in this board. And several reviews confirm that Corsair doesn't work too well either. But my Crucial 2100 works fine and hopefully so will the Mushkin I ordered :).

keep me posted as I am gonna buy one of these boards local in Vancouver tommorrow. All I want to be ablt to do is run 166 fsb using a 512 dimm Mushkin PC2100 High performance Level II DDR I bought. From what I have read this ram has hit 177 in quite a few reviews on a KR7A -Raid board so I am assuming 166 should be easy.

I plan to have this board in my wifes system, I had a spare KR7A-Raid board for her but I sold it as I only had to drop a little extra cash for this Nforce 2 board. Looks like you guys are happy with it correct?

Cisco KId

Hello All, Hey Cisco I'd consider buying some Crucial PC2700 or Twinmos or Buffalo PC3200 with the Winbond CH-5 chips, I believe they all cost around $85.00 US for 2 X 256mb sticks. I've OC'd my Crucial to 210FSB @7-3-3-2.5 and the Winbonds should run even better at similar timings. Remember that the AN35N doesn't like low-latency 2.0 sticks until they and the board have been burnt in real well, then you can tighten your timings back down. Make sure you flash the newest BIOS right off to get the missing multipliers. Good Luck with your new board.
Regards, Balrog

Balrog said:
Hello All, Hey Cisco I'd consider buying some Crucial PC2700 or Twinmos or Buffalo PC3200 with the Winbond CH-5 chips, I believe they all cost around $85.00 US for 2 X 256mb sticks. I've OC'd my Crucial to 210FSB @7-3-3-2.5 and the Winbonds should run even better at similar timings. Remember that the AN35N doesn't like low-latency 2.0 sticks until they and the board have been burnt in real well, then you can tighten your timings back down. Make sure you flash the newest BIOS right off to get the missing multipliers. Good Luck with your new board.
Regards, Balrog

Thanks for the tip but getting new ram is not a real option as the Mushkin will have to do, I am sure it will work fine as I will be running a 1700 Tbred B using a Barton 2500 sink fan, I am looking for 166 fsb and that will be good enough. You can bet I will be back with questions.

Cisco Kid

Hello All, I think 166FSB is real doable with the Mushkin Cisco, even with only 2.7V available in BIOS. Someone posted recently that they're running Kingston PC2100 @168FSB in sync! From what I've heard Kingston does not have the greatest reputation for OCing so you should be okay with yours. Good Luck and enjoy, keep us posted.
Regards, Balrog

Mushkin Level II is high quality stuff. I am sure 166fsb is doable. My blue Mushkin 3200 does PC3700 speeds.

funnyperson1 said:
Mushkin Level II is high quality stuff. I am sure 166fsb is doable. My blue Mushkin 3200 does PC3700 speeds.

Funnyperson1 what became of the Intel system you had, I see the radeon migrated to the new box, how you liking the AMD setup? I guess as far as costy goes they are pretty darn good!!

I have to order the Shuttle should have next week by Wed as we have our Labour Day weekend here in Canada now. Can not wait to get it paid about the = of what you guys did in US $$ so I am very happy!! Wife will love her new system now to find a deal on a 15" LCD, the BenQ is looking god with 16 ms response and 400:1 contrast

Cisco KID

Well I loved the tualatin system, that 1.1a was an amazing overclocker and never let me down. But the lack of DDR was really hurting it.

I got my AN35 and 1700+ for 110$ shipped to my house (about the cost of my Iwill tualatin mobo by itself) so that I could have a fairly modern comp before I left for college.

I am pretty satisfied even though it seems I got a TbredA. My chip maxes out at 2.07ghz and my ram maxes out at 230fsb. For now I have my chip running at 1850 because there isn't any ac in my dorm, and its hot down here :(. I also 7-volted the fan so as not to **** off my roommate.

As for the tually its found a new life as an office workhorse for my mom.

And it still hasn't let me down. I undervolted it to 1.2V at stock speed. And with no case ventilation it runs with a P1 heatsink that is 1/2" high and has a 5cfm fan. Temp never went above 37C. PC would be damn near silent if it werent for the 2gb 4000 rpm hdd lol.

well guys I am gonna start putting this system together, will be back in a while to ask some questions. Anything I need to know about the bios ? flash to the newest??

Cisco KId

Hello All, Yeah Cisco, flash the latest BIOS and if you're an old die-hard 98SE user like me disable APIC as well. Good Luck and Enjoy!
Regards, Balrog

Back