• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp, running a little hot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

So i just build my first computer myself (yay! :) ) and My cpu is running a little hot.

buuutt...the case thermometer (thermatake xaser 3) and the motherboard (asus a7n8x) say different temps. The case temp says 53-55c idle and the motherboard says 45-46c. I have a new AMD athlon 3200+ XP and a volcano 11+ heatsink, this with the heatsink at full RPM too.

So my first question is why are the two readings different? And assuming the motherboard has the right temp, is that normal for a 3200+?? Also, I don't have thermal paste on, would that help? And finally (since you know by now i'm a noob when it comes to overclocking) what is the highest temp that a processor should be when 100%??

Thanks all.

-=Ambush=- said:
So i just build my first computer myself (yay! :) ) and My cpu is running a little hot.

buuutt...the case thermometer (thermatake xaser 3) and the motherboard (asus a7n8x) say different temps. The case temp says 53-55c idle and the motherboard says 45-46c. I have a new AMD athlon 3200+ XP and a volcano 11+ heatsink, this with the heatsink at full RPM too.

So my first question is why are the two readings different? And assuming the motherboard has the right temp, is that normal for a 3200+?? Also, I don't have thermal paste on, would that help? And finally (since you know by now i'm a noob when it comes to overclocking) what is the highest temp that a processor should be when 100%??

Thanks all.

The motherboard is an Asus, it usually reads a little off. Where do you have the probe on the case contacting? If its too large and too close to the die (raised part of the processor) it will hold the HSF up off of the processor. You NEED thermal paste. 75 degrees is a safe maximum for any electrical component. Even though alot of companies claim upto 90 degrees. Go with the thermal probe, not the motherboard. Probes are usually more accurate.

It depends on where you placed your hardware probe. I have mine placed right next to the die with thermal compound covering it and connecting it to the core. My mobo is supposed to support the on-die temp sensor in the CPU, but I'm still getting between 5°-10°C lower than my hardware probe. The highest your CPU can go stable with a full load is around 60°C. It really varies from CPU to CPU. I can't go over 60°C and stay stable. I don't want to, either. I'm happier staying under 50°C.

Here are a few things you can do to try to get better temps:

-Reseat your HS and reapply thermal compound
-Lap it.

By "not using thermal paste" do you mean you didn't apply any at all? Or did you buy the retail version of your 3200+ and you're using what came on that heatsink?

yeah no thermal paste at all. The Volcano did come with some though, but I forgot to apply it. I'll probley just buy some silver grease off newegg.com and apply and reseat.

But does compusa carry themal paste? Would save me a lot of trouble.

And should I get a themal pad? Do I use this along with the grease??

no, definitely do not use both... i believe compusa might have some, call them first. and trust the probe more than the mobo temp reader... where is the probe on the bottom of the die? i believe thats the most accurate place to put it without interfering with temperatures.

Back