• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mini-fridge setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

my friend is making a computer and he wants to some how connect it to a minifridge so he can get amazing low tems inside the case (and have drinks handy beside the computer). the problem is, we are having touble trying to figure out how to connect the fridge air to inside the case.

what i was thinking was drilling a hole in the side of the fridge and connecting it to a air duct type tube. i figured we could connect the tube to the side case fan, voila, fast chill.

what he sugested im not completely sure of. he siad something about running it in through a optical drive slot.

anyway, how do you guys think we should connect it. hell, lets be creative.

im conserned with condensation in the case. what can we use to prevent that. also, how should we set the fans up. perhaps all very low exhale in hte back and maybe a low intake in the front?

thanks

if your gonna do this do like u said do a ducting type mod to the side or back of his case but tell him hes gonna have to almost totally seal his case maybe one 12 vfm exit fan but i think he will be better of with a water cooling setup

i agree with you about the watercool, but right now money is an issue as we are almost flat broke. he just happend to have a fridge lying around.

well... first, your average pc will generate at least 150 watts of power between cpu, video cards and drives.

the compressor in a fridge is meant to get low temps over time. if you cut a hole in the fridge and duct the air to the pc, it will be cool for the first 5 min but will get worm after a while. you will also blow the compressor.

if you put the entire pc into the fridge believe it or not, after a while in there it will proably get warmer than the outside air. people have tried this. believe me. it doesnt work.... unless its a blast freezer :D

the remote remote idea would probably work. I know someone that used on as a chiller for a fish tank. you have to run copper line into the fridge and make severeal coils and then run the line back out. It works pretty good depending how many coils you have and how cold the fridge will get as well as the flow through the pipe.

Porting a mini fridge directly to a PC is not a good idea for the simple reason that when warm air meets cold you get condensation, this is why you condensation is often found around the edge of fridge doors.

Back