• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

I have a Dr Thermal TI-V77 HS, and it is doin good so far. i was wonderin what the difference is if i were to get say a Swiftech MCX462+, or say a Thermalright SK-7. My Bro uses a Volcano 9, what would generally be the best one, and what would be a % difference. Runnin 40C according to the in-socket temp sensor.

Actually a SLK-800 would be better then all of them...and with a Tt2 smart fan (if you are worried about noise) or a 92mm Tornado...you would see around middle to low 30c temps...and the SLK-800 can help achieve a high OC since it can handle more wattage (CPU) then any of the HS's that you mentioned above...as for %...sorry man...too tired right now to figure out the %...but that would be over 10% difference...and 10% when OCing can make a big difference at times...

deeppow said:
Link to heat sink rating on OC front page.

The only bad thing about something like that...is not everyone has the same ambience temps...and the ambience temps will play a major role when it comes to cooling...but it is still a descent chart...

Those are the best brands out there, if you ask me. You can look around and see the highest OC's on air were with Thermalright, and maybe swiftech(only reason Swifty's might not show is they are a little on the pricy side.) I've got an sk-7, and for $20, you can't beat that with a stick!

glock19owner said:
The only bad thing about something like that...is not everyone has the same ambience temps...and the ambience temps will play a major role when it comes to cooling...but it is still a descent chart...

Humm and what about fan selection, and case flow, etc. etc. etc.?

There aren't that many broad based comparisons around that used a reasonable test methodology to allow cross comparison between a large number of heat sinks (that doesn't say that this study is perfect by any measure). Or you can listen to folks say that they have the best heat sink having never tested that many heat sinks themselves.

deeppow said:

Humm and what about fan selection, and case flow, etc. etc. etc.?

There aren't that many broad based comparisons around that used a reasonable test methodology to allow cross comparison between a large number of heat sinks (that doesn't say that this study is perfect by any measure). Or you can listen to folks say that they have the best heat sink having never tested that many heat sinks themselves.

Very true man...which is why I usally just listen to what people have to say about things like HS's and base that on my own judgement...which is why I choice to go with a SLK-800 and a 92mm fan...hard to beat a all copper HS when cooling with air right now...unless you feel like going with a swiftech 462+T...which has a 226w pelt...so you can get those real low temps...like around 10c or so...but the only problem with going with something like that...you will need to have a seperate PSU that has at least a 25amp on the +12 line and then you have to worry about condensation at times...this is far from a newbies HS...

If anyone would like to read a review about it...here is one...

Swiftech 462+T review

Hrmm.. i think i might get somethin different if i ever get a new mobo. but since the barton cores run at only 1.60 v stock, i dont think it is really necessary to have such a massive HSF. but i might look into it further if i get some better oc stuff.

Back