• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

I just wanted to know if the temps for my new PC are normal as I am new to PC building. My 2.6ghz cpu is running at 46C and my P4P800 Motherboard is running at 36C. Is this OK?

Also, my computer desk has a little cubby hole like area for a PC to fit in. It's entirely open in the back and front. The thing is, the sides are sort of narrow, but my pc can fit in with about a half of an inch on either side. Is this OK or am I damaging my PC? Before I put the PC in there, my temps for the CPU where 41-43C and motherboard 31-33C. I have one side fan on my case and I'm afraid I am not allowing any air to flow through properly.

It does sound like you are cutting the airflow off to the side mounted fan...and no you are not damaging the CPU...but you might be overworking the fan if it is somewhat blocked...

But if you could list what HS and what thermal paste you are using and how many case fans you have...this would help also...

I am using the regular thermal pad and heatsink that came with the CPU. My powersupply has 2 fans and my case has to rear fans, one outtake and one intake and a side fan that sits right over the MB.

for that setup...those are not too bad of temps actually...one thing I would definetly do...take that junk tape off and get some AS3 for thermal paste...and if you plan on OCing...upgrade to a SLK-800 or 900 and a nice Tt2 fan or Tornado...just depends on how loud you care for it too be...and replace your intake and exhaust fans and side fans with some Tt2 smart fans...this should lower your temps to around middle 30's or so...depending on your ambience temps at the time...If possible...you might want to add another intake and exhaust fan...but this is if you plan on OCing it very high...but at least change the thermal tape to AS3...even if not OCing...

Thanks! I will not be overclocking this PC, I just wanted to make sure I was still getting sufficient air flow and temps with my PC sitting in that cubicle.

well the key thing about the cubby hole...is making sure you are not cutting any airflow off to that fan...which is sounds like you might be...did you notice if the fans got louder when you put it in there...if so...then you are cutting the air flow off some...and if you temps rose slightly...this would be another way to tell...and since you stated they did...it definetly does sound like you are blocking that side fan somewhat...

Back