• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backing up the working BIOS to a chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Anyone know if:

1) Since the PCCHIPS 830(i think) and the ECS K7S5A are basicly the same mobo, could I use the BIOS chip from the PCchips board in the ECS board, flash it to a current ECS bios, and have it work?

2) If the above works, does anyone know of a mod to piggy back the BIOS chips so that I can backup the bios on the PCchips BIOS chip from the ECS chip?

3) I'm just trying to find a use for a dead PCchips board..so don't laugh...:)

I know some of the very early bios versions were swapable.. As they progressed, this was no longer the case.

Compatibility issues aside, I know there are some boards with mods to do this. I've seen them (awhile ago), but can't seem to find them now. It would be nice to have a choice of bios to boot into if need be..

The PCCHIPS M830 seem to be the same board, with slight color variations.
What you can probably do is a hot swap. But it is dangerous.
What you do is start the system with the good ECS bios chip in place, but only allow it to go to the DOS prompt. Then, while the system is running, you remove that bios chip and put in the PCCHIPS bios chip, and then flash that one with the correct bios file. Then shut down the system and remove the PCCHIPS bios and put the ECS one back in. Now the PCCHIPS chip should be able to stasrt the PCCHIPS board....hopefully.

JUST BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE CHIPS AS THEY CAN EASILY BE DAMAGED!!

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

You could also try the bios recovery floppy disk.
Do a google search on AMIBOOT.ROM

And finally, there is the IOSS RD-1 bios savior, which I have, and which works great.:)

If it is the same bios chip you probably can. I have done that with two P3 boards that were totally different chipsets (one Intel, one Via) but the exact same bios chip and it worked.

Back