• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S setup problem, long and short beep, no POST :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheapoman

Registered
noob needs help here,

Just got my nf7-s from excaliber and barton 2500 from newegg. Since I am still waiting for my corsair xms, I thought I use my extra kingston pc2100 to test the setup but it wont POST at all. The led on the mobo is on (red) and when I power on, a green one is on for few second, fans are spinning, and then a continuos long and short beep. All fans stop spinning. What is goin on? is it the memory? video is working fine from another pc.

setup:
POWMAX 400w
Abit NF7-S rev2.0
Barton 2500 week 23
Kingston 256 PC2100
Geforce4 ti 4200 128

well, you mean using pc2100 memory? or the beep code?

The manual says I can use pc2100. There is no info on the beep code though.

Usually this is what ABIT uses for beep codes;

Beep Codes:
  1. No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board
  2. One beep - board is working fine
  3. One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU
  4. 1 short(Beep) System booting is normally
  5. 2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error
  6. 1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR
  7. 1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
  8. 1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
  9. 1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error
  10. Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly.
  11. Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has a problem
  12. A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages.
  13. Four beeps then machine shuts down. This is because this version of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or FAN4 header or clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).[/LIST=1]

darn, it is the memory then
>>
1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR
<<

thanks. we probably need to sticky that beep codes :D

I hope you get things sorted out. I remember that the NF2 boards were picky before about certain modules of RAM like Corsair XMS but the more recent BIOS updates have supposedly fixed them.

When there is an official list of the beep codes then maybe we can make a sticky of it. I did say "usually" above right;)

Yeah, the HyperX work on it most of the time. There is atleast one Senior that I talk to often that has a rev. 1.2 & Kingston HyperX & is running fine.

Its me again for an update :(

I went with 2X256 HyperX PC3500 2.5v and same problem. No POST!!! Is it save to says I am down to mobo and cpu? memory is new, vga is working (on another pc). I have XP1700+ laying around and plan to test that tonite. If still not working, mobo is goin back, btw excaliberpc returns sucks... should have stayed with NEWEGG.

Back