• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Bios/Memory Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

se7enzer0

I'm revamping my system and getting the following:

Abit nf7-s
Barton2500
Vantec Aeroflow

I know the nf7-s supports pc3500, but should i get that? I won't be doing any *serious* overclocking, i might raise the multiplier a little, but thats about it.

Also, what the hell is CPU thermal throttling? Its an option in bios that has %'s to it. Is it just the idle states for the pc? Would the system make it faster to disable this then?

edit: also, is the softbios utility dangerous? i read one place that it was

if your only going to be raising the multiplier then dont get PC3500...either get PC2700 or PC3200 at tight timings.

thermal throttling is pretty much what its says on the tin, if your processor gets too hot, it will go down to whatever % you have it as of its speed.

and do you mean softmenu? unless you get wild with the settings, it will be fine - it does have voltage settings which could be considered dangerous, but I would really be changing things I didnt know what they were doing anyway - its dangerous to people who are meddling where they shouldnt be

dan

softbios is their utility that lets you flash the bios without using a boot disk, since i don't use a floppy drive, i'd be interested in this

I've heard that flashing from Windows rather than from a boot disk is a bad way.... read a few posts from people who had it go wrong and machine wouldn't POST anymore

damn...ok, does anyone have a image of a bootdisk or some way they know of for me to put a decent bootdisk on a cd?

also, if i'm getting the barton2500, should i get pc3200, or is there no point to this?

last question, i'm putting a zalman heatsink on the SB to avoid cooling issues there, anything i should know about thermal epoxy before doing this?

Back