• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two (2) questions about pump and waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ordvac

The intake and output valves on the eheim 1046 seem to be different sizes. Are both of these meant to work with 3/8" ID tubing or do I need something to correct this?

Also, the waterblock I use came with plastic nuts and bolts. Could you use metal instead? I'm just curious if that causes some problem.

any size output or intake will work with any hose....if u used 3/8 hose and the outtake is 1/2...then it might take some squeezing to get the tube on....vice versa...if the output on the pump is 3/8 and ur tubing is 1/2...then u might have to really tighten it down so you don't get any leaks..possibly add some silicon to seal it...

as for the waterblock as long as the nuts and bolts aren't in contact with the water (im assuming you mean mounting the wb) then it should be fine. Use whatever you want.

I am no pump expert, but I do know a few ;)

to optimize the PUMP alone, using the correct size tubing per the manufacturer is best- but for our purposes that can restrict the complete system too much, or just make things too difficult.

As a general rule- bigger tube is always better :)
Using bigger tube than the pump is designed for should have fairly little negative impact on the pump, if any, but using smaller tube can worsen performance I am told...Especially on the pump inlet.

I would suggest adapting your system to the larger of the tubing sizes if possible- that's how I do it ;)

i will agree with rogerdugans....the bigger tube is always the best...especially the output on the pump....you want as little resistance as possible nearest the impeller...altho....if its a closed loop...the water pressure will be the same throughout the system...

by the way roger why did you have your postcount reset?...did u change it the day the forums changed over?

To mount the waterblock to the motherboard you do not want to use metal nuts. If they hit the motherboard it can cause problems with shorting out. The plastic ones are used where the nuts will come in contact with the motherboard, and the metal ones are used to hold the bolt in place. It should go in an order like this: bolt through motherboard, 1 plastic washer on the bottom to protect the MB, 1 plastic washer on top of the motherboard, 1 metal nut to hold bolt in place, waterblock, plastic nut to protect the top of the waterblock, spring, thumb nut.

Back