• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB cooling for NF7S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

se7enzer0

what should i use for this?

i looked around on newegg and couldn't find anything that looked viable

thorilan said:
a zalman heat sink should do it .
i just finished lapping my SB and will transfer my NB heatsink and fan to SB and put a waterblock on the NB

are you just going to use thermal epoxy to secure it to the sb?

there are alot of nice chipset cooling packages from vantec you might wanna look at those usually comes with ram sinks and a active cooler for the nb.

It is also very easy to cut an old heatsink (if you have access to one) to fit on the SB.

One thing to check out is the clearence between any proposed southbridge cooler and any video ramsinks you have or plan to get. I cut an old P166 heatsink for the SB and had to trim the (luckily not yet attached) ramsink so they wouldn't interfere. This was with a 9700. The zalman cooler is about the same height (32mm) as the heatsink I used, so there is potential for a problem with that.

If you can find one, an old i486 HSF will fit just about perfectly on the SB. The "just about" depends on the vid card you run. I've no clearance problems with my Ti4200...longer cards might not clear it though.

I used thermal tape to attach it...not the best solution, but more RMA friendly.... :cool: ;)

Back