• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heerboths

Should I add another case fan to my case if my computer likes to lock up while I am running it. Right now it runs ok but when I overclock the puter, I have to remove the side of the case for the cpu to stay cool enoughto keep the computer from locking up on me... so should I add one or more case fans on top of the one already there or should I just leave it alone at the unbearable speed of 1.2. ghz. the case fan I have on there is on the rear of the computer and came with the case. I have a Valcano 7 heat sink that works great for me for now....

It really depends on alot of things what is the minimum amount of fans that you need to cool your PC.

I recomend ducting more than anything else because it is so effective. I should really make a ducting guid so i dont have to explain this every time, but there is a cheap, fast way to do this, and you most likely wont have to run out and get things. all you need is a cardboard box, poster board, a ruler (to measure the stuff) and DUCTAPE lots of it!

so first, cut the cardboard box so you have a cardboard sidepanel, then, determine where the cpu fan is in relation to the side panel. then you want to cut a hole in that cardboard the exactly lined up with your cpu HSF. Make sure it is the same size though. then, measure the length from the side panel to the back of your CPU fan. Not the whole heat sink, but just to the end of the fan where it meets the heatsink.(Lets call the length from their to you side panel "Y") then maesure each side of your fan and add it up(lets call the added up number "X"), then, you want to make your posterboard peice X long and Y wide.

then, fold it into a pipe, but a square one that fits tightly around the fan. duct tape the seam. then put it on your cpu fan, DO NOT LET IT COVER THE HEATSINK and it should fit nicely between that and your hole in the side. To keep it on, ductape it to your psu. you should also put a fan on the end drawing in cool air. Make sure it is ductaped securly. then duct tape your side panel on and you have a duct that lowers temps.

If you have any questions, PM me

would you recommend just modding the oem side panel with that modification or do you really think I need to replace the whole side panel like that?

Back