• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The quick short ducting guide. Cheap! Free! maybe pics inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I recomend ducting more than anything else because it is so effective. I should really make a ducting guid so i dont have to explain this every time, but there is a cheap, fast way to do this, and you most likely wont have to run out and get things. all you need is a cardboard box, poster board, a ruler (to measure the stuff) and DUCTAPE lots of it!

so first, cut the cardboard box so you have a cardboard sidepanel, then, determine where the cpu fan is in relation to the side panel. then you want to cut a hole in that cardboard the exactly lined up with your cpu HSF. Make sure it is the same size though. then, measure the length from the side panel to the back of your CPU fan. Not the whole heat sink, but just to the end of the fan where it meets the heatsink.(Lets call the length from their to you side panel "Y") then maesure each side of your fan and add it up(lets call the added up number "X"), then, you want to make your posterboard peice X long and Y wide.

then, fold it into a pipe, but a square one that fits tightly around the fan. duct tape the seam. then put it on your cpu fan, DO NOT LET IT COVER THE HEATSINK and it should fit nicely between that and your hole in the side. To keep it on, ductape it to your psu. you should also put a fan on the end drawing in cool air. Make sure it is ductaped securly. then duct tape your side panel on and you have a duct that lowers temps.

here is a real quick guid i threw together. id love to improve my beginners ducting guide so, id love to hear any suggestions. Ill bring diagrams and pics later.

TIA

Nice guide, Pics would be a really big help to all the wannabe "Ducters" out there..

I consider myself a "Ducter"

i did a similar ducting mod but made it tubular, which is more of a PITA....but i have the case fan (SF2) with a duct going over my HSF....it dropped the temps 3-4C with the SF2 on a lower setting (sounds about 3K rpm's...i was wondering if i removed my TMD fan from the hs, if that would help or hinder...i may try it later...

Try blowing the hot air off the heatsink right out of the case by turning the fans around. I am a little curious if that would lower temps.

That's what I'm gonna do in mine. Mount an exhaust fan directly to the left of the hsf in the rear fan mount. That way it pulls the hot air coming out the side of the hs right out of the case. :)

Blowing it through the heatsink first is heating up the whole case, then again, who knows, give it a try and let us know which is better.

i did something similar only to my northbridge b/c i didn't have enough money for a cooler for it. i took some cardboard and created a square type thing around a fan, duct taped it all, and had it over my nb. i got to a 205 fsb with this.

Blowing it through the heatsink first is heating up the whole case, then again, who knows, give it a try and let us know which is better.
Then again sometimes moving hot air is better than warm still air ;)

The only thing I can think to add is install a blowhole under the CPU duct for the AGP/PCI slots. Put the fan with 25% of the blades legnth above the AGP slot.

You might aswell do it as it isn't 5 min worth of extra work depending on how you decide to cut the holes. You also pic up some AGP cooling for nearly free!

Not sure if this is what you meant, but 2 fans isn't effective for a side panel if the duct goes directly to the CPU fan (from what i've read). 1 Fan is what i did.

What about dryer hose? Of course attach it with duct tape since that stuff is amazing. It might make a more air tight seal and last longer.

Back