• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

River of cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James McGee

Registered
Ok, I have screwed around long enough, it's time to get down to some serious spending... Been looking around a few websites and have kinda settled on these componets for a water cooling system for my baby. What do you think of these, all comments welcome if you think it could be better. I figure this will cost me about $190.00

Pump: Eheim 1250 @ 317 gph @ $68

Black Ice Ext. rad @790kcal @$66 / or Dtek has a good looking rad combo for $55

Core shroud for Black Ice Rad for 120mm @125 cfm fan @$20

Large reservoir with either 2 or 4 conections @$30

i'll be using 1/2" hose and a Maze4 block. Ya, I know there are probably better blocks like the WW and Cascace, but I already have this one.

So what ya think?

Looks good except: get the D-tek core and shroud, it will outperform the BIX and ditch the res and use a "T" line instead. :D

Rad: Dtek w/ their shroud.

Fan: Why do you want a 129 cfm fan?!?! How loud is it? One of the major benefits of water cooling is that it is very quiet. You dont really *need* that much airflow through the rad. Get the good ol' Aluminum 120mm fan: 80 cfm - 30 db

Ditch the rez, go with t-line. Check this link for the PVC t-line setup DV helped me out with:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=208446&highlight=props

URGH... need to rehost my pics

Otherwise, good =)

I concur with the other posts- if you NEED to buy a rad already made fancy (and with a shroud) go with the DTek.
Of course, I still think a heatercore would be an even better choice and cost about $30 USD less. :D

No reservoir!!!! Not needed and costs money! ;)

A T-Line works as well or better. I tried an experiment with an Air Trap a while back and find this to be the best of both worlds- fast, easy fill and no flow restriction from a reservoir :D (Air Trap basically adds a container with a larger opening on top of the Tee fitting instead of a thin, hard to fill piece of tubing. ;))

Push/pull is better than 1 fan, but a monster fan that will work at lower voltages and have a rheostat may be better for you.....

Tha's my take on your proposed system, but even if you do it exactly as you laid out it should do quite well. :)

Renigade said:
Get the good ol' Aluminum 120mm fan: 80 cfm - 30 db
I just need to rant for a minute about the aluminum fan on D-Tek's site and other vendors that claim it is 80CFM @ 30dBa... This is an IMPOSSIBILITY! It is obviously a typo or the manufacturer giving wrong specs. How do I know this? Let's take the good old Panaflo L1A 120mm that is 38MM thick. The specs on it are 69CFM @ 30dBa. Now the aluminum fan is 25mm thick which does not push as much air at the same dBa, this is a fact. So either this aluminum fan is 80CFM and close to 40dBA or it is 30dBa and only pushes about 60CFM but it can not be both.

[continue threadjack]

I hate to do it but I have to agree with nikhsub1:
I have some of these fans and I DO like them, but the only way I could possibly get them to read as 30db when run at 12 volts (if I had a meter) would be to test from the other room ;)

They do push out quite a bit of air though- I think the cfm rating is probably close, anyway...but the noise level is not what is stated.....
[/end threadjack post]

Very correct nickhsub1.

One thing you really want is 38mm thick fan, I dont personally own them but I hear the pressure is much greater. When pushing through a radiator, pressure is sometimes more important than 'rated' airflow.

Looks like everyone has you straitened out for the most part, I would go with a heatercore and make a shroud, change the barbs.
Whatever you decide, Im sure you will like it. I personally get much more satisfaction out of doing something myself.

Jon

a note on said 120mm aluminuom fans. I have one of the claimed 30dba ones, i got it from dtek. I am pretty sure they all do push 80CFM. But not at 30dba. I was at frys and saw my EXACT same fan, same package, same evercool 12025m12C, except on the back of this package it said 36dba. Im pretty inclined to believe that a lot more... so i just assume from now on everywhere i see 80CFM @ 30dba for these, its really 36...

Go with a 86 Chevettte heatercore and shroud with a 120mm Ys-Tech fan at 7volts. At 7volts you really can't hear the fan and at 12volts it's rated at 131CFM.

Back