• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge waterblock design?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McWarren

Hey guys. I want to make a waterblock for my northbridge chipset, but it's really important that it's not too restrictive, because I want it to go in along with a GPU block as well.

So, I was wondering if you had any good designs that perform well and don't restrict flow too much.

just a simple open casm design works great for the north bridge, No extreme performance is needed for the nb. If you have a regular VIA or most nforce2 boards, not the asus boards. the mounting hole distance is 2.3125" I beleve.

Jon

you have to remember that a lot of northbridges are even cooled passively with a heatsink.....so using a simple open chamber or even a simple "U" shaped channel in it would be fine...either one wouldn't really restrict flow too severly...just make sure you are using 1/2 tubing if you have a setup with a lot of resistance....ie: more than 2 waterblocks.

I use a 1" copper cap soldered to a 1/4" thick copper plate with pits drilled in the base on my NB. Block works very good and is not restircive at all.

Sounds good, thanks guys! I think I'll go with the copper cap idea, i've got some 1/8" copper flat somewhere from a failed attempt at a home-made Cascade, so I'll give it a go.

one thing that should be done to the copper cap is make it shorter, it only needs to be 1/2" at the most. A 1" or 1-1/2" cap will work great.

Jon

Back