• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best airflow for case with no front panel fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainValor

Registered
I have an Enermax standard ATX case, which looks really nice, but has no front-panel fan mount or intake. I can position two standard 80mm case fans in the rear panel, one in the roof of the case just to the right of the PSU, and one in the middle of the removable side panel. What would be the best intake/outtake configuration (using three 80mm fans) for this case?

your supposed to have more intake then outtake but for you situation i would suggest an intake on the side panel and then one outtake in the rear and one on the roof

Wouldn't that create a partial vacuum? Originally I was gonna have the roof one as an intake, the side one as an intake, and the rear one as an outtake.

i have to speak against having the top one as intake, hot air rises, therefore the hot air will keep struggling to go up, but with a top intake, hot air will just stay there

its in times like these, my friend..... where power tools come in :D

Okay, so I'll make the top an outtake.

But what are you suggesting with the power tools? That I cut a vent in that nice faux-brushed-chrome front panel? ;)

I wouldn't do any cutting on the front panel - it might mess it up ;)
I agree with the intakes on the side and exhaust on the top - that's probably the best way to do it.

Intake on the side - singular. ;)

So:

Side fan: Intake
Top fan: Outtake
Rear fan: Outtake

All in agreement?

Nooooo thank you. I wish I could show you a pic of it.....the side panel has the hole for the fan positioned in the middle, and then six clear sections cut into it radiating outwards from the center. Any cutting would ruin the look, imo.

Take the plastic front bezel off, then cut the chassis frame for a front intake?

With the top and rear exhaust and a side intake, you have negative pressure. Don't forget the ps exhaust fan too.

I don't think setting the top as an intake would be too bad. I know hot air rises but I don't really see it in a small case enough to make a difference. Try it out, it can't hurt.

-Bobby

So negative pressure really isn't a bad thing? I mean it's not like the case is sealed or anything.

Oh, and doing any cutting is out of the question. I want to work with what I have. Period.

In my opinion, you'd be best off with side and rear as intake, but place a piece of cardboard between the PSU output and the rear intake to avoid sucking hot air in. This way, you have air going over the most critical components.

I agree with Pummer. Another idea is to make the side and rear intake, and cut a 120mm hole in the top for out outtake.

pummer said:
In my opinion, you'd be best off with side and rear as intake, but place a piece of cardboard between the PSU output and the rear intake to avoid sucking hot air in. This way, you have air going over the most critical components.

This will work nicely; the cardboard divider is optional.

Place a fan in the front w/o cutting the bezel, but put it in one of those cages that lets the fan suck air from in front of it if it can't get any from outside. Erm, I hope you know what I mean.

Mico said:
Another idea is to make the side and rear intake, and cut a 120mm hole in the top for out outtake.

This would be unnecessary, since I already have the mount holes for an 80mm exhaust in the top. And I don't think the additional size would be that much more beneficial.

Pummer, I like that idea. I had recently been considering the rear for an intake. But I figured becuase the cpu hsf was right there beside it (and the cpu fan blows down onto the cpu and out the sides of the hs towards the rear fan) that it would be best for both the PSU and rear fan to pull that hot air out. I guess I can try it in both configurations and see which one results in a better case temp. :)

Thanks for all your help guys! OC-Forum rocks! :D

Back