• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This can't be right...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fallen Phoenix

Ok, the deal is I've got a 1.5 gig P4 on an Asus P4S333 Mobo and the thing seems too dang hot! I've got a good sized heatsink and fan on it and plenty of thermal compound in between but as I type it's hitting 54 degrees celsius (129 Farenheit). I've only got one case fan besides the one in my power supply, and it's on the bottom front pulling in cool air. It's an old P4 fan from the heatsink I'm chopping up to fix on my GeForce's memory. I'm getting an 80mm fan tonight to put at the top sucking hot air out, so maybe that will help a little. What do the P4s run at non-overclocked? I'd like to solve this problem so maybe I can get it stable then bump up the FSB a bit for some better numbers. All these temps are with Asus Probe which sucks IMO, any suggestions to replace Probe?

David

Hmmm 54 is that an idle temp i take it??

the only thing i can think of is that the heat sink is not fitted properly but correct me if i am wrong :)

Not exactly idle temp, but I'm not benchmarking it when it's reading that. It stablizes around 54 in a couple minutes after booting up. I've got a nice big dab of thermal compound on the CPU and it seems to be on there good. The heatsink is getting pretty hot too.

i bet its becuase you have too much thermal compound. the layer is supposed to be like paper thin, not "plenty" :D

And what thermal compound are you using? Sometimes the cheap stuff will not give you temps as good as Arctic Silver III. In fact I've seen situations where using AS3 instead of cheap thermal grease can decrease the temp as much as 10C. Still, 54 seems high for any type. I have an Athlon XP 2500+ and a Vantec TMD 5400 RPM hsf with just cheap thermal compound and it idles at 37C. I'm getting AS3 though just to make sure I have the best.

yeah, when i read that "plenty" thing i tought about hpow much goop you had
my 1.7 p4 idles at 43 and 48-50 load with a spark7(with the thermal probe) and the cheap thermal compound that came with it

try reseating you heatsink

EDIT: And those temps are from a pc in a tropical country in the middle of the equatorial line

Yes. The Ceramique is MUCH easier to apply to the chip. Just a little glop and then a bit on the heatsink. (Be sure to wipe the heatsink off, but leave the Ceramique in the crevices.)

Wow, I feel really stupid. Folding@home was running the CPU at full tilt, 100%!!! I've backed it down to around 10-15% and it dropped 10 degrees. I've also got some Arctic Silver on the way. I've ALSO got WAY too much thermal stuff (I got it from Radio Shack) so I'm going to thin that out. Ducting would definitly help. I'm getting a case fan tommorow so I'll probably check out the ducting threads then. A new case is in the plans with plexi windows and case fans blowing right on the CPU and video card. Now that I've embarassed myself... I think I'm gonna fix these issues and see if I can get it down lower so maybe some overclocking would be ok. 1.5 Gig is just so slow! ;)

David

Back