• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fan for slk 900??????? PLEASE HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay tornado 92mm...modded to run at 17volts :D

super low temps...just keep fingers and anything else you cherrish away from it.

scoobie

the -5v line coming from your power supply. If you connect the positive fan wire to the normal +12v on your molex connectors, and stick the black wire onto -5v on the atx connector you get 17volts

I don't recommend such a major and complicated mod for a newbie ;)

but yes there are ways to volt mod cpu fans.

and then you watch that baby really cool.

scoobie

im just a newb in modding lets get that stright hehe!! can i have ur email so u can expalin this to me properly!?!?! that would be a great help :)

Your power supply (PSU) has at least one line that gives you -5v. The -5v can be found on the motherboard connector by looking at the diagram on your manual. If you connect the red wire (positive) on your fan to the +12v yellow wire on your 4 pin molex, then stick the negative black wire from the fan to the -5v connector wire in from your PSU, you will get a total of V1-V2=12-(-5)=17v.

If you really want to up it even more, you can plug the negative from the fan into the -12v on the mobo to give you 24v for your fan....

can i have either of ur emails so u can talk me through it! this would reallly help me overclock please please please reply :)

Actually, its not really a great idea to up the voltage on your fans...most people only do a 7v mod eg to lower the noise. By upping the voltage, you greatly reduce the life of your fan and there is a higher chance of failure while running your system.

So I don't personally recommend it. I only posted the info cause you asked for it. Danger factor 3/5.

Further, the -5 and -12 lines on most PSUs are limited to 1 amp, so you risk burning out your PSU if you hook a high-power fan like the tornado up to them.

I have that the slk900 with the 92cm tornado and if you have it running all out you can't even stand to be in the same room. You are right about fingers, I have a bandaid on right now. lol

lazerin said:
Actually, its not really a great idea to up the voltage on your fans...most people only do a 7v mod eg to lower the noise. By upping the voltage, you greatly reduce the life of your fan and there is a higher chance of failure while running your system.

So I don't personally recommend it. I only posted the info cause you asked for it. Danger factor 3/5.

Actually i agree with this...As i blew up my delta by 17 volt modding it....It was fun though, while it lasted, talk about a whining noise there :D

scoobie

People always say they don't care about noise but a few weeks or maybe days, they start to care when the noise becomes burned into their brains. I would get a 92mm tornado and hook it up to some fan control device. so later you can turn it down when your ears start to bleed.
I had a 80mm tornado in my computer for 10 mins then i yanked it out and returned it.

Yeh i have a fan mate from zalman so i can really turn the fan down with that! thanx forall ur post!!

One question do u think that a slk 900 and a 92mm tornado is going to do the best cooling job as far as fans are conserned???

There's a pretty good chance a 92mm tornado will draw more power than the zalman fan-mate is designed to accomodate. I don't have one to check, I would recommend verifying rather than assuming that it can handle the load.

Seriously, though...the next best thing if you can't handle the Tornado is the Smart Fan II.

I had one running at 3000RPM and it was still too loud, so I switched to a Smart Fan II. The thing is, if you are going to turn that Tornado down to 5V, which gives you around 3000 RPM, you might as well go with a Smart Fan II at full speed because, not only is it quieter, but it cools better because it gives better static pressure. Running the Tornado at 3000RPM gives you around 75CFM. The Smart Fan II puts out around 75CFM. The reason it cools better and gives better static pressure is because it's 80mm versus 92mm. The same amount of air flowing through a smaller surface area will have higher pressure.

Back