• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7s5a Pro & 1800xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
How is this combo?
a local shop has it for 120 bucks.

Just curious to how overclockable the 1800XP was in general, and how overclockable the K7S5APRO is and if its a decent board or not.

I used the search button, and can't find to much info on it on the forums other than it has craptacular sound or some such.

I think that is overpriced.
Go to new egg and take a look at their prices. You could get an ASUS A7V8X-X board $63 and a 1800+ Tbred for $53.00.
Thats $116.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/catalog.asp?DEPA=1

You get free shipping and if you buy both motherboard and CPU you save $5.

I am using this board because I got it for free when I upgraded someones system, I would not buy it if I could get a top tier board near the same price.

Last edited:
It was just a passing fancy that I was going to pick up if it was a decent price.

obviously its not :p

So I won't be getting it.

BestBuy sells the K7s5a Pro with a 2400XP for 99? :eek:

I think the 2400+ is a good chip for the K7S5A. You can use Honey's bios or Cheapoman's to raise the Bus Speed enough to get the most out of the 2400+.

With the 1800+ you have a harder time, you either have to do a hard mod on the bridges or use the wire mod to up the multipliers. Some might not want to go to that much trouble.

that asus and 1800+ combo you mentioned 7keys is DEFINATLY a better deal. k7s5a's are not performance boards. they work well WHEN THE WORK, but even at the same fsb and cpu speed, my nf7-s walks all over my k7s5a.

ECS boards just cant compete and i believe you are shooting yourself in the foot if you buy a k7s5a and xp2400+.

I can totally agree with that. I think it is better to buy a refurbished top tier board at newegg than a new K7S5A.

Although I don’t think it’s fair to compare a K7S5A to an NF7 it’s rather like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. I'm a little late in the conversation, but I would agree with most people here. Stay away from ECS and PCChips.. I'll be getting away from mine this week!!

I was checking out Fry's sales and found the following:

ECS k7s5a pro plus athlon xp 2400+ $89.99 (save $50)

western digital ultra dma/100 80 gig $64.99 (save $20)

256 mb -no name pc2700 $24.99 (save $30)

2 fans, heatsink $50

No name video card and sound card $50

No name case, keyboard and mouse: $60

Total $340

I've never built a box. Maybe this would be a good (and inexpensive) learning exercise. Maybe there is something to be said for getting the no-name cheapo stuff to work

Mark

Last edited:
it doesnt matter what spedd the ram is. hell even pc3700 will run with that board - as long as they are compatible.

my samsung pc2700 had no problems with my k7s5a.

(((it doesnt matter what speed the ram is, hell even pc3700 will run with that board- as long as they are compatible.)))

RIGHT!

Back