• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winxp vs win2k which is best for gaming??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbob7

After a while xp really does lose performance which is not good! 2k is very reliable! i just want to know how much performance ingame i would use from running 2k instead of xp!! if any! thx :)

I would say Windows XP. My room mate has 2k and his games crash from time to time - I run XP and rarely have problems related to XP, moreso related to my overclocking.

XP is supposedly optimized for applications of all types. Personally I think your performance will vary little as a direct result of the OS(just have plenty of RAM). The OS will give you more compatibility issues than real performance issues, and XP has less compatibility issues than 2K.

Thus, I recommend XP, since it's what I use and it works. :)

I have not noticed any performance difference between the 2 different OSes but games definatly run more reliably on win xp therefore I would never recommend gaming on win2k.

I honestly have noticed no differences at all in gaming between w2k and winxp (both I have bought/used on other people's rigs). I have Win2k...and have played a few games...not too many but they are the ones i like :) (UT2003, Half-life and a good amount of mods, Dark Ages of Camelot, Splinter Cell, GTA3, GTA:VC and there may be been one more...not sure..)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

win xp is supposed to have a compatability mode to play older (think circa win95 and older) games that i dont think 2k has, but my brother has xp and i have 2k and we play alot of the same games, about the same on either. given a fresh install and the common tweaks i bet you would never see more than a 1% difference between 2k and xp

I switched from XP Pro to 2K Pro and noticed the resource hogging XP services and such dissapear. 2K has given me way better performance, but the fact that I can't disable the paging file agitates me, so I'm considering going back to XP to make use of my 1.5 GBs of RAM :rolleyes:

EDIT: Spelling :eek:

Last edited:
I have used XP, but prefer 2k for most applications. I play quite a few FPS games, all with little or no problems that would be stricktly 2k related. With XP, you have to like the fluff that comes with it. I cannot say which is better, but you may want to look at bench scores, that is prolyl the best way to see any real numbers with the 2 OS.

2k all the way. Cant say I ever seen a blue screen when i wasnt overclockin...

Buhammot said:
I have used XP, but prefer 2k for most applications. I play quite a few FPS games, all with little or no problems that would be stricktly 2k related. With XP, you have to like the fluff that comes with it. I cannot say which is better, but you may want to look at bench scores, that is prolyl the best way to see any real numbers with the 2 OS.

2k all the way. Cant say I ever seen a blue screen when i wasnt overclockin...

My sentiments exactly, but if you've got the resources to spare/waste, XP does quite well, but not as well as 2K (though that damned paging file is gone--muahahaha).

Both OSes are pretty much the same in structure. They're built on the same kernel, but XP just has a few 'features' the Win2k doesn't.

I prefer Win2k. Always have. It doesn't have the bloat slowing you down, like XP does.

In powerful systems, you won't really notice a difference. Take whichever one is cheeper, and you'll be happy

Toysrme said:
XP. Win2K is the worst windows for gaming this side of ME.

You have used it since before the first SP, right? 'cause what you're saying makes no sence. WinXP is just Win2k w/ more pretty things.

I've used both extensively, and haven't noticed a bit of difference in gaming. If I were given a choice, I'd probably go with 2k for the greater privacy and lack of bloat.

Back