• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shim or no shim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

i plan on getting an nf7-s rev2 w/a 2500+ along with an slk900u w/a smart fan II. does the retail version of the 2500+ come with a shim, and should i use one...and why?

I have never seen an AMD chip ship with a shim, so I do not think that one will come packaged with it.
Many people are against shims, because they can cause incorrect seating of the heatsink, something very critical in an OC'ed or un-OC'ed AMD system.
A shims purpose it to provide an even seating all the way across the chip, so that the unprotected AMD core cannot be crushed or chipped.

Personally, I would say don't get the shim.

The AMD XP 2500+ retail does not come with a shim, nor would I use one. It makes it harder to seat the heatsink, and it's VERY unlikely you'll chip the proc anyway.

The only time a shim is really NEEDED is in extreme cooling applications where a HIGH TORQUE setting is needed. Ive seen people torque TECs to their processors at 50FT/LBS!!! But, they were also >200WATT TECs.

personally i wouldn't install a heatsink without a shim, it can be very easy to ruin a core installing a heatsink, most shims retail for around $10, worthwhile for me when runing a $150 processor

Strida said:
When I tried my shim on and off I got about a 2* difference at boot up, though it was about the same at load.

Was that 2Deg centigrade higher? That's what I heard from people that it increases temperature at idle. No I don't have mine 1700+ shimmed. If they needed to be shimmed I would bet that AMD would send them with their retail HSF, No?

Back