• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QUICK HEADS UP EBAYERS-- I just caught a SCAM!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

I just got an email from "[email protected]" which I thought was odd because I do all my dealing on ebay.ca. The email includes this message: We have introduced a performing security program because of the frauds that have been made lately.Please update your data within 24 hours. The emai llooks just like the ebay login page and asks for you user name and password

After a quich run through the html and scripting in the email I found that once you hit submit it forwards your info to a url in the UK ( I have all this persons's info thanks to some tracing) and then forwards you to the real ebay.com so quickly you don't notice it( i put in bogus info to try this.. and thank to my ungodly slow 56k i actually saw it loading the malicious site ;) ) I sent the real ebay all this info so hopefull they catch this scumbag.

Just want to warn you guys... we don't need to make this thief happy.

I've seen this before, I thought they caught this long ago, but obviously someone else has started doing it as well......

I just got an email back from ebay and they thanked me and said they have contacted the authorities :) Good to see the system at work :)

F4 said:
I've seen this before, I thought they caught this long ago, but obviously someone else has started doing it as well......

Trouble is, its too easy to do and there are too many easy targets out there. I'll tell you, that "spoofer" sent the email to the wrong person when they chose me, I plan on helping ebay/authorities out as much as I can to se this person pay for thier crime. People like this really erk me :mad:

Well done on finding this guy and I hope eBay keep listening to it's people like this :)

Turd Furguson said:
I hope he goes to jail/prison for this for a long time and gets (Yatta!) 'ed too.

That's not very nice :(

Cjwinnit said:
That's not very nice :(

squint.gif
are you him?

Great catch :)

And another good example of a basic security routine to follow:

Any time you get ANY email claiming to be from a website you deal with- DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS!
Go to the website in the normal fashion and look for info related to whatever is in the email; contact the website if you do not find anything.

Never, EVER follow the directions in the email;)

I made an effort to put a few nasty remarks in the input fields and push the submit button ;)

JDXNC said:
I made an effort to put a few nasty remarks in the input fields and push the submit button ;)

Chnage my last post slightly-
Only follow the directions if using false information and trying to mess up the originators.

:D

I've gotten 2 bogus emails from supposed Paypal sites. Same sort of rip off. More info HERE
Both times they got reported. The last one, I changed the settings on my Email to show all the headers, took a screenshot of that email & sent it to PayPal.

Originally posted by JDXNC
I made an effort to put a few nasty remarks in the input fields and push the submit button

The next time I get one those "Help me get my money out of Africa" scam emails, I'm going to save it & use some of that info for the next Ebay or PayPal scam! :D

-Dave

I've reported two spoof emails to [email protected] in the last 2 weeks. I actually forgot about this thread and when I received the 1st one it looked very authentic and convincing. However, it was asking for a lot of personal info that made me suspicious, basically the kind one could use to steal your identity and use your credit card. So, before doing anything I got online with eBay through a real-time chat and within 10 minutes was told it was a spoof.

Lesson learned: NEVER answer emails with private information.

Yep I have been getting lots of ebay and paypal spoof emails at my work email. You know the one where they say that they periodically do a security review and place random accounts on hold status until you can confirm your information or whatnot. If you just glance at the links they LOOK like they are going to ebay or paypal or whatever, but if you move your mouse over top of them you can see the long funky redirection that the link actually sends you to. Also helped me to know it was fake since I don't even have an ebay account and only used paypal once so wouldn't care even if it had been real putting my account onto hold status :p

Yeah, I've junked a few of these as well. Did anyone see that thing on somethingawful.com where he got into a whole email argument with one of the scammers? Was pretty funny stuff.

Back