• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate goop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimingle10

I can't get decent temps with anything I try....I can't get the stuff smooth, i have AS3 and PCM+ and my idle temps shouldnt be 45*C :(

Is there any tricks to getting the stuff uber smooth? Whenever im done i can still see where my finger was (with plastic over it) or with the PCM+'s little spatula, i can still see lines (big ones)

my case temp is 30-32*C so my chip should be about 37-38 at idle im guessing...

-Jim

i dont have an Abit board but from what i heard they tend to report high temps
im not sure about your particular board though

You might need more caseflow. Alot of people put these huge Delta Screamer fans on their HSFs and still get temps like yours...then they realize that they need case flow.

What voltage are you using on the chip, that might have something to do with it, also what does the bottom of your HS look like? Is it smooth or are there ridges?

I really doubt the lines in the goop make much difference, just the amount your putting on, put as little as possible, but make sure you dont miss any spots.

Also most if not all of the recent abit boards read temps higher than normal, so if the chip is stable, you are fine. (Yes I know, we are paranoid about our temps.:))

i used to think that 5 million fans would be more promising... Then i started lookin into the patterns that the air would flow. Run some benches and open the case to feel for "hot spots". So it may be the airflow that is bad, and not the amount of air moving. I did some extensive testing on location of fans, duct work (sucked for me), and even moving air from around the exterior of my case. It all depends on you box.

well the location where my case is the temps are probobly 2*C more than anywhere else in the room but i usually have a big fan blowing on my system (as i sit there) so the exterior temp should be fine...as far as interior, i have 4 case fans up front all sucking in air, a side fan positioned directly across from the cpu fan, taking in air, and then the big blowhole sucking air out from up top...i think i have them positioned in the best way possible.

I use to suck air FROM the cpu and then used the side fan to suck it out of the case but the temps were higher than the way they are now.

I have to have the WORST TH7-II possible for voltage. It undervolts almost .15 Im running stock voltage lately because if i up the voltage i can see temps as high as 54 idle without my a/c on. At stock 1.5v the board is only getting 1.36-1.38 on average. Voltage isn't the problem. But that brings up that since it undervolts so bad maybe the sensors are off alot for temp. I got a lemon :(

-Jim

schismspeak said:
What voltage are you using on the chip, that might have something to do with it, also what does the bottom of your HS look like? Is it smooth or are there ridges?

I really doubt the lines in the goop make much difference, just the amount your putting on, put as little as possible, but make sure you dont miss any spots.

Also most if not all of the recent abit boards read temps higher than normal, so if the chip is stable, you are fine. (Yes I know, we are paranoid about our temps.:))

I have the same board and my cpu temps are constantly around 42-45* idle with a a slk900 with a 92cm vantec tornado. I think the board monitor is screwed or something

If you're really worried about it, get an external temperature monitor, and you can trust that A LOT more.

Nice Avatar, hah!

dude, your chip temps are HIGH...

my XP1800+ Palomino (get hot) runs at 1700mhz, ~50-52 C load.... 45 idle....

:)

you only need a REALLY thin layer... sometimes even so you can faintly see the heatspreader under the stuff (just barely)...

what HSF are you using?

Did you rub the Thermal Compound into the hs contact and then wipe it off? That fills the microscopic valleys in the metal and ensures better contact. Other than that I'd say you have a bad temp sensor. But anywhere from 40-60C is a safe enough temp for an Athlon. I wouldn't worry unless it goes above 65C. :)

Back