• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looping windows install driving me insane...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lazlo Panaflex

Ok so i just got a new rig comprised of only two new components (new hardrive and new vid card) and when i try to install windows it will get to the point were it formats, copies files, then tells me its going to reboot to finish the installation...except it doesnt. My machine boots back up and it acts like nothing happened and makes me go through the whole routine again.:mad: Any help is appreciated i am in the process of switching out hardrives to see if thats the problem.

Am I right to assume WinXP? This happened once to me on an older KT266 machine. But for some reason it didn't happen again afterwards.....

Dumb question, but you have taken the CD out the computer right?

cwb27 said:
Am I right to assume WinXP? This happened once to me on an older KT266 machine. But for some reason it didn't happen again afterwards.....

Dumb question, but you have taken the CD out the computer right?

LOL make sure the CD and any floppy is out and if you do not take it out do not let it boot from the CD/floppy or it will keep looping.

I had this same problem once and it was due to a brain fart :D

yeah im using xp home, when i tried taking the cd out it started up went and gave me some windows boot.ini message and keeps repeating till i shutdown. I have never had to take my cd out before, whenever the setup reboots and is going to actually start installing windows after it copies files it completely forgets what its doing... if it matters i have set the 1st bootup device to the cdrom. I seriously have no idea what is going on but ill try switching out the disc one more time when i get home. thanks

Last edited:
The problem is like this: When windows installs, it first boots to the cd and does the stuff there (like formatting and partitioning drives). Then, it boots to the HD and continues the install. It might still need the cdrom at this point, but it needs to BOOT from the HD.

Just make sure that it's booting to the HD after you've done the stuff with the cd boot.

DaBigJ said:
The problem is like this: When windows installs, it first boots to the cd and does the stuff there (like formatting and partitioning drives). Then, it boots to the HD and continues the install. It might still need the cdrom at this point, but it needs to BOOT from the HD.

Just make sure that it's booting to the HD after you've done the stuff with the cd boot.

sounds good, ill try it when i get home :)

i had same problem unlug it let it sit on a desk 18 hours and get extremely ticked read this thread plug it in and it will work fine :) hehehehehe sorry thats what mine just did 5 mins ago :) me thinking the drive was completely screwed and shabam it works

DepthwD said:
also try setting the drives jumpers to auto and the bios to SMART and a few other possiblities

Ive seriously tried every single suggestion in the thread and nothin, im thinking something is messed up with the drive so im goin to borrow one of my buddys to test out. The Switching out the CD method does Not work ive tried it multiple times and nothing. Is there any know issues with Maxtor drives?

Turns out 2! count em 2 Maxtor Hardrives were corrupt! I used a 12gig old IBM hardrive and it booted and installed windows without a hitch. Thanks for all ur guys help and i will never buy another maxtor drive again...

Back