• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF for AthlonXP 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tau_neutrino

Registered
I've searched the forums regarding this subject but I'm still a bit undecided on which HSF to get. The most I can afford to spend is $30. So far, my choices are:

Vantec Aeroflow
SK-7 w/ undecided fan
SLK-700 w/ TMD fan

I plan on OC'ing to ~2.2GHz in a hot, humid environment :)mad: hellish Texas summers.. bleh) on an Epox 8RGA+ mobo. Also, I'd strongly prefer something quiet.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated ;)

Overclocking and quiet are a conflict of interests, lol. You can't have both. You have to sacrifice a bit of one for the other. Out of all those hsf's I think the SK7 is the best one. If you plan to oc get a 50cfm fan, if you really want quiet then then go with a 30cfm, but that won't cool too well.

Quiet + Heavy OC'ing has been achieved... with an Intel that is.
Intel 2.4 + Zalman CNPS-7000CU = MONSTER!
Thats my view, however not what this thread is about..

Is the 800 an option? Common knowledge would point out that the 800, being physically bigger, would be able to radiate more heat off the chip.. I believe you may want to get the 800 as well as an adjusting fan, such as ones from ThermalTake everyone seems to love, or an Enermax. I would also reccomend that if you do get a 30cfm fan with your HS, you should install a duct right away, so your fan spews the coolest air possible on to a hot piece of copper.

As for the Aeroflow, I've seen really good temps @ stock, however only mild overclocks are really good for this cooler, IMO.

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I'm trying (maybe futilely) to strike a compromise between noise and cooling ability :p

What fan would you recommend? I've read about Sunon, Panaflo fans.. maybe a variable-speed one?

If I get an SK-7, will there be the risk of damaging my mobo when I'm transporting the case? Since it's kind of heavy and not bolted to the mobo could it fall off or worse?

I vote for SK-7 with the Smart Fan II.
Whatever the case, lay it on its side. The SK-7 is not as heavy as the SLK-800/900, but it's safer if you transport your computer laying on its side.

EDITED (I didn't quite finish it for some reason. :eh?: )

Last edited:
What luck! I live in Texas, am using a 8RDA+, and an Athlon 2500+! lol

I'm using the Vantec Aeroflow, and I have to say, it rocks. During slight overclock, I get idles of 38-39C and load of 40-42C. This is a great fan for 30 bucks. I can't say I've tried the other two hsfs you listed there, but I can say the Vantec works great for me. You will be more than satisfied with it. :)

Back