• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diskeeper ate my Win2k default defrag!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I uninstalled Diskeeper, as I couldn't really see a point to it. Unfortunately, when I uninstalled it, it took the default Win2k defrag snap-in with it. Now I can't defrag at all.

How do I re-install the defrag snap-in?

Try running the System File Checker (SFC) from the command prompt...Start | Run | Type cmd and hit OK | Type sfc /scannow. Make sure to have your W2K slipstreamed SP4 disk in the drive before running SFC.
How do I re-install the defrag snap-in?
Start | Run | Type regedit and hit OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | MyComputer | DefragPath

In the right-hand pane, double click [Default]...this will open the Edit String window | In the Value Data field, change the string to read...

"C:\WINNT\system32\dfrg.msc %c:"

...close the Registry editor. Open the Command Prompt and...

Type...CD \WINNT\system32 and press Enter
At the C:\WINNT\system32> prompt, type...Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll and press Enter

A window will appear confirming the success of the registration...select OK, then reboot. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Well I did the above (save for the SFC, 'cause I don't have an SP4 slipstreamed Win2k disk), and now instead of just erroring out, it gives me a white screen to look at in the MMC

Also, I didn't have a DfrgPath key in the registry, so I added one, then added the info to it. I think that might've aided in screwing it up, or something.

You added a Key called DefragPath and not...
like you mentioned above...to the following branch?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | MyComputer

...and then modified the [Default] String Value to read as I posted above? If so, then you'll need to run SFC.

Last edited:
Did you get a Registration confirmation after running the...

Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll command from the command prompt?

That I did.

It's not really that big of a problem. I'm just a bit cheesed that a program decided to rob me of the original functionality of my Win2k Defrag.

I guess I'll stick w/ Diskeeper. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah. I'll have to slipstream SP4 onto my Win2k install CD for that.

Or, could I just decompress the SP, and do it from there?

I believe you can just decompress the Network Install of SP4, and then run SFC...but I'm not 100% sure. You may not even need to decompress it, because the Defrag files needed are possibly still located in the \dllcache directory (the SP4 updated/protected OS files). The problem is, some of the pre-SP4 hotfixes may be overwritten by running SFC after SP4 has been installed. You can usually (but not always) tell which hotfixes have been erroneously overwritten by running qfecheck, downloadable from MS here...

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q282/7/84.ASP&NoWebContent=1

...so as to know which pre-SP4 hotfixes to re-install.

Last edited:
Well I'll be jiggered!

The version of Diskeeper I originally installed was the Server flavour. Just for kicks, I installed the Workstation version about 10 minutes ago. I figured it was better to have something than nothing, y'know?

Well, I uninstalled that to try to run the SFC, and when I checked to see if there was a defrag program listed, the original Win2k Defrag was back!

I don't know wether to laugh or cry. Sorry for taking up so much of your time.

Thanks anyways!

Back