• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting Dilema involving an SLK-900u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Friar_Josh

Current setup: SLK-900u with a vantec Tornado 92mm fan on a GA-7VRXP mainboard.

Dilema: The GA-7VRXP died and for a replacement I was sent a GA-7VAXP which will not mount the SLK-900u due to the fact there are no screw holes in this motherboard.

Looking For: Advice. Is there a heatsink that will mount to the clips on the cpu socket and also mount my 92x38 mm fan?

I'll save you the whole story, becuase I've been treated more than fairly by my motherboard supplier, they warrantied a dead board at their own loss for me because of the business I've done with them, but couldn't get the older board so substituted it with something they could get. The newer board is more desirable of course, so I'm not going to complain to them too much, it's just a bummer to have to buy a new HSF in the process....but not as much of a bummer as having to buy a new board would be I guess. The two boards are virtually identical, with the newer one being based on the KT400 chipset and the old one being based on the KT333 chipset.

</rant>

So what do you guys think of the volcano 11 HSF setup?

the slk-800 series isn't that far off from the slk-900's performance, and i have a 92mm tornado on mine.

you can always find a buyer for the slk-900, and recover some of your money spent, or go a bit crazy, and use the slk-900 on a video card...he he he ....

The slk-800u will mount to the clips on a socket A? It sure doesn't look like it from the pics on newegg.com

Well overclocking wise i would stick with the kt400 board. I have a 7vrxp and it's not the heat of my cpu that is limiting my overclock. It's the Divider functions. And i'm using an AX-7. so i would not worry about the loss of the 900 to an 800. you'll more then likely get a better overclock anyway. And i think the 800u mounts with bolts, and the 800a with the clip. i'll check on that.
Edit: checked and correct

Back