• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volcano 9 temp cont better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spiritedandy

Premium Member
hi all:D

well ive got a volcano 9 and ive been running it on @full speed 5000rpm temp 46deg ...........but i thought i would try the temp control instead .......where by it controls the speed its self .......

well its alot better..........

rpm gone down to 3900/4100 so noise better...
and temp down to 42 deg ? which is strange so i tested it again and put it back to full speed 5000+ and temp goes up 46 deg ?

wierd i love this fan now the temp control is gr8t ........

anyone else noticed better cooling with lower fan rpms ?

andy:D

spiritedandy said:
hi all:D

well ive got a volcano 9 and ive been running it on @full speed 5000rpm temp 46deg ...........but i thought i would try the temp control instead .......where by it controls the speed its self .......

well its alot better..........

rpm gone down to 3900/4100 so noise better...
and temp down to 42 deg ? which is strange so i tested it again and put it back to full speed 5000+ and temp goes up 46 deg ?

wierd i love this fan now the temp control is gr8t ........

anyone else noticed better cooling with lower fan rpms ?

andy:D

I noticed the same thing with my TT Volcano 7+ the temps are a few degree C cooler but what sucks in that my fan speed controller broke. lol so now its at full speed and running a little warmer.

I tried the controller but I wasn't impressed with it so I stuck the manual control on and just leave it set at 3500rpm... fairly quiet. From what I found, with the temp sensor, it started slow, then just kept speeding up till it was full blast and stayed there, even though temps were never about 44°C(with a pally 1600+)

With the manuak control, I only notice 2°C difference between 3500 rpm which is very comfortable sound wise, and +5000rpm which will drive a person nuts.

The phenomenon you have noticed is nothing unusual. When operating at its highest rpm, the smartfan 2 outputs a LOT of air. The exit points for the air on the heatsink is not sufficient for the total expulsion of air coming from the fan. This creates a backlog of air that never really exits the sink so this air is like a warm air pocket located in the space of the sink.

When you lower the rpm, the amount of air entering is not as much and strong so the air is continuosly being circulated.

One way of solving this problem is by performing a very simple mod of raising the shroud from the sink.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136499

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185680

I have my Volcano 11+ with manual control and its currently on 4412rpm. I dont even DARE raising it above 5000 or else i will have a terrible headache.

The temps of my 1Ghz Duron remain stable at 51C. My case btw has NO additional fans or airflow whatsoever.

lazerin said:
The phenomenon you have noticed is nothing unusual. When operating at its highest rpm, the smartfan 2 outputs a LOT of air. The exit points for the air on the heatsink is not sufficient for the total expulsion of air coming from the fan. This creates a backlog of air that never really exits the sink so this air is like a warm air pocket located in the space of the sink.

When you lower the rpm, the amount of air entering is not as much and strong so the air is continuosly being circulated.

One way of solving this problem is by performing a very simple mod of raising the shroud from the sink.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136499

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185680

thanx that good info going to have a look into it today :D

my god when i posted this i though you would all say im nuts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Daywalker said:
I have my Volcano 11+ with manual control and its currently on 4412rpm. I dont even DARE raising it above 5000 or else i will have a terrible headache.

The temps of my 1Ghz Duron remain stable at 51C. My case btw has NO additional fans or airflow whatsoever.

I know Durons run hot but w/o any additional fans you are probably killing your other hardware.

You may want to invest in a couple cheap 80mm fans (one for intake and one for exaust. May cost you 10 bucks or so plus shipping but it will save you far less then even replacing a cheap 50 dollar Graphics Card.

The Daywalker said:

check my sig - no case fans;)

james.miller said:
check my sig - no case fans;)

wow!

lol mine has a boxfan blowing in on high, a duct with a fan on the end, and another fan ductaped to the other side above the heastink to blow the hot air out.

anyways, I tried it. (i have a volcano9 hs with the smt fn 2) at 5900 RPM i got a temp of 43.5°C At 5100, 46°C and at 4600, 44.5°C

SinsFeelNatural said:
I know Durons run hot but w/o any additional fans you are probably killing your other hardware.

You may want to invest in a couple cheap 80mm fans (one for intake and one for exaust. May cost you 10 bucks or so plus shipping but it will save you far less then even replacing a cheap 50 dollar Graphics Card.

I knooow that believe me. Anyway though, im planning to open two blowholes on my case (one on top and one in the back) and put a pair of 80mm papst fans.

Btw i have killed two graphic cards already (GF2 MX440...who cares... :D )

Back