• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

screensaver not starting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

start

Hi

im running Win XP pro

I asked this same question a few months ago, and my searches of the forums havent come up with a soulution.

Problem is...my screensaver doesnt start after the time I set. It hasn't worked for many months...

Ive tried editing the registry, and used various registry editing programs related to screensavers etc...still no luck.

Ive basically given up, but is there a few last things I should try?

Also....a simple program that starts my screensaver after the mouse has been idle for a set time, that is hidden away (i.e. not on taskbar or system tray) would do. So long as my screensaver actually starts.

I thought about making my own VB program to do it for me, but I cant remember how to make it not show up on the taskbar or system tray and stuff...

Help!?!

TIA

Have you already checked the following String Value in the Registry, and made sure it's set to 1?...

HKEY_USERS | .DEFAULT | Control Panel | Desktop

Value Name: ScreenSaveActive
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled). Change the value of ScreenSaveActive to 1 to enable the screen saver. :)

Are you running SP1 with all the latest critical pre-SP2 updates installed? Since I don't know what Registry entries you've checked or changed, I'll list a couple more for you to check...

HKEY_USERS | .DEFAULT | Control Panel | Desktop

Scrnsave.exe String Value Name = C:\Windows\System32\logon.scr Value Data

Verify your Time while there as well and choose accordingly...

ScreenSaveTimeOut = (set your preference)...the default is 600

Also make sure none of the screensavers are wrapped in double quotes as in...

""c:\windows\system32\screensavername.scr""

And try adding...ss in front of the screensaver name or totally rename it.

regvalues.gif

this is what I have...I tried doing what you said again.

Still refuses to work.

I dont have SP1, but I have most updates from windows update site

edit - nice overclock btw :D

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest you upgrade to SP1, and install all the latest pre-SP2 critical and recommended updates from Windows Update...before going any further into trying to figure out why your screensaver doesn't work.

Hmm ok.

Altho my XP Pro was kind of...given to me lol. I dont think Ill be installing any service packs if they are gonna lock my computer or anything.

My own fault. Ach bogger :(

If there was just a screensaver starter program that hid itself away and did the job instead :)

Back