• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it depends on the setup...most are blowing onto....but in some instances it works better pointing away....try both and check the temps....let us kno how it turns out.....blowing onto works better for me.

Blowing in often works better as it is the movement of air that is cooling and not the actual air itself.

If you have an Alpha: Have it sucking air off the HS.
All others: Optimal performance with air blowing on.

In the past some have worked better blowing the air away.

Alpha put out one with the fan blowing away from the heatsink.

Great minds think alike.

all of my heatsinks have the fan blowing on them except for my alpha 8045t. I really don't notice a difference in temps on the alpha sucking or blowing but the instructions said to have it suck.

i don't think it much matter beyond the fact that if it is pushed on to the heatsink the air is a little cooler because it hasn't pasted by as much stuff and the pressure might be a tiny bit higher, i have an old dell mini-atx that i am useing as a door stop that has the heatsink fan blowing away from the hs and into the psu, that is an example of a time you would want it pulling off the hs

Tycho said:
all of my heatsinks have the fan blowing on them except for my alpha 8045t. I really don't notice a difference in temps on the alpha sucking or blowing but the instructions said to have it suck.

The effect of turning a fan around on an Alpha is minimal and Alpha knows this. They tested both, however the sucking configuration gave them 1 degree cooler, therefore they reccomend it pulls the air out. I also would imagine this lowers case temperature dramatically if partnered with a rear exhaust fan (heat comes directly off the CPU heatsink and out the back).

Wow, I didn't expect that many replies, Actually I have a 60MM TT on there now and need to replace it with a 80MM TT SF2 That'll probably happen in the next couple weeks I'll test with both directions and post the results

Back