• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cascade...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NavyDood

Liquid Cascade new W/C setup...

I spent the past 24hrs trying to get the air out of my external W/C system. I left it on over night with the T uncapped. I turned it on and off, tilted the box every direction numerous times also, and I still had quite a bit of air in the system.

So I said screw it and broke out the Cascade Liquid Dishwashing Detergent. I used about a teaspoon total. Used a smaller piece of tubing on the end of a syringe and stuck it down in the tube for the T and squirted directly into the flow path. About 10 minutes later 75% of the existing air was gone. Now about 4 hours later, I'd say that 95% of the air is out of the system.

I am running a Albatron KX400-8XV Pro Mobo with a XP-2100+. The MoBo takes the temp right off of the diode in the Processor. There isn't a diode mounted to the board where the processor sits. My idle temps would flux around 43-45°C with a Vantec thermoflow 80mm on a SLK-800A running at the lowest fan rpm. With the W/C setup I am now running at 40°C steady. Room temp is 27°C.

Swiftech MCW500A
1976 Caprice HeaterCore
2- Vantec 120mm Stealth fans
Danner Mag 3
Criticool Powerplant
Tubing from Home depot. 20ft for $4

I am in the process of re-installing my 2 quart resevoir. Just going to do some mods to it first. Then I can see if having an aluminum resevoir will help with temps or not. With the resevoir, my system will hold almost a whole gallon of water.

Jim

Last edited:
Ok, I have one question though- are you using steel hose clamps?

Often there will be just enough "slop" when putting tube on barbs that even a seemingly tight fit may leak a tiny bit. Not easily noticed it is so small. But it may allow air to enter the system: a sign of this is very small bubbles that don't want to bleed out of the system; that's why I mention it.

In any case- I am not surprised that a small amount of soap helped: soaps are all basically wetting agents, just like water wetter. What they don't do is prevent corrosion.....

The only problem that I vcan see with that is the Liquid Cascde may hinder the thermal conductivity of the water in your loop. What are your before and after temps?

^^ I guess that since the soap is a wetting agent, it wont hinder the thermal conductivity. Let us know how it turns out.

All the air seems to be out now. The water flow is clear even with a flashlight shining through it. Every once and a while you will hear a bubble go through or release from the pump.

I am using zip ties for clamps. Gonna have to watch it and see.

I need to shroud the radiator also. Gona have to come up with something for that also.

altec said:
^^ I guess that since the soap is a wetting agent, it wont hinder the thermal conductivity. Let us know how it turns out.

Just about anything will affect the thermal characteristics of water but in small enough amounts the negative effects will be compensated for by positives, hopefully ;)

Water Wetter will reduce the efficiency of distilled water if too much is used, so do the dyes that many use in their systems.

Too much of any wetting agent is bad and can actually cause foaming which is even worse!

One thing I do wonder with the soap: any other additives that might be harmful to the system over time?? I really don't know- but that is something to think about.

I am using zip ties for clamps. Gonna have to watch it and see.

I do as well, but I double mine up in a way that gives a full 360deg of equal pressure. Not a single leak yet, and they aren't really that tight.

You probably could have gotten away with a lot less soap than the full teaspoon.

Back