• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU burnout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secret

Hi all! - wicked site, has helped me out loads - even managed first overclock just reading bits & pieces from this site!:)

Now down to business!:rolleyes:

I currently have a Abit KR7A mobo, houses a XP 1700, which i have been overclocking a little - only managed FSB 147, but am working on it!

When i got the CPU i also purchased an standard Antec fan as i wasn't in to overclocking then (but i've got a passion for iy now:D ). This fan makes a terrible noise, so when i started to overclock I thought i'd purchase a coolmaster fan HHC-L61
which runs at a lower rpm............any way to cut a long story short, i've had big difficulties getting this fan to run with my FSB. so I thought i might try lowering it to stock (133mhz) as it could be a heat problem, this still didn't work. I then tried lowering it even more just to be certain, which is when my problems started!!!:mad:
After i had dropped the FSB to 130 & saved the settings in the bios, i restarted my computer.......shock......horror......the thing won't even start now!!!!:eek:
The mobo powers up, fans running as normal, but no start up screen!! For the life of me i can't figure out what's happened!!

Someone please help as i don't really won't to spend £80 on a new CPU!

Shouldn't the system default to it's original setting if the settings are wrong? (even if i am using a lower FSB than normal)
Is ther a jumper i can change that will enable me to start up again?

also i had increased the voltage slightly to get the higher FSB & forgot to turn it down:(

Thanks for the help in advance ppl!!!

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried to reset your CMOS? There is a jumper on your mobo (should be next to the battery), take it from pins 1-2 and put it on 2-3 for 10 seconds, then back in its original position, with the power cord unplugged from the mains... After that, your system should start up with the default BIOS settings.

Thanks Nixxon:)

I haven't tried it yet, but i will - will post how i get on!

Anyone know of any compat problems regarding Abit mobos & coolmaster fans?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

You said you purchased a lower rpm fan, well, if its the same size as the old fan you had it performs worse. The slower the fan speed of the sam size fans the worse they perform usually. What is the new heatsink you have rated for? It should say on the box up to Athlon XP xxxx. You are using some kind of thermal grease right? Definetly try resetting CMOS.

Back