• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Thermal Paste????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbob7

I have heard so many things about thermal paste! Im getting a slk900 soon! How much thermal paste should i use ?????????????????????? I never thought there was a limit with in reason :) :S

Use a thing smoot layer of AS3. I use a peice of cardboard usually to make the layer nice and smoot. Check out www.articsilver.com , there are complete instructions there.

Nope. Its not, but the same rule applies...a thin smooth layer. I have no idea what comes with the SLK900, sorry, but I would reccomend getting some AS3. AS3 usually performs much better than whatever they give you. Its worth it for an extra $6.
You can buy AS3 at svc.com or newegg.com

the Artic Silver 3 and the Ceramique perform about the same
so you can go with either of them
here's the direct link for instruction on how to apply the thermal compound (its for the ceramique but should be the same for AS3)

Thin layer. However, how thin really depends on the finish of your base. If your base feels relatively flat (run your fingernail over it), then you should heep it very thin.

Very thin, almost clear. I made the mistake of gooping AS2 all over the heatsink on my first build. Good question.
Cheers,
r2r

Run your fingernail over the base of your heatsink. If you can't hear or feel grooves, the layer of TIM should be about 0.05mm thick - the same size as a piece of paper, and it should form a translucent haze over the top of your CPU.

If you can hear or feel grooves, the layer should be slightly thicker, or you should lap your heatsink until you can't feel any grooves.

Zoilo said:
Thin layer. However, how thin really depends on the finish of your base. If your base feels relatively flat (run your fingernail over it), then you should heep it very thin.

He's saying, if your base is very smooth and flat that you can afford to use less goop, because the function of the goop is to make up for any imperfections in the base of the heatsink to maintain the best contact.. So, if the base of your heatsink is particularly bumpy or scratched, you may need to use more goop to fill in those bad areas (this could also be taken care of by a good lapping!)

HTH?

Sand the grooves out with very fine sandpaper taped onto a piece of glass so the finnish is flat and smooth.

when ever i am applying thermal grease i get a little sandwich baggie and put it over my finger then put a little dot of grease on the core then lightly run my finger over it to spread it out, if you have done it right the layer should be very thin, you should almost be able to see through it but have it thick enough that the core is still covered

"But wot is "lap" my heat sink"
Just sanding it with very fine sandpaper so it feels smooth(sometimes even ending up with a mirror finish).

Sand paper :S hmm i think i need a second opinon :|:S

Ps thanks for all your post Im much clearer on Thermal paste hehe ;)

Back