• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX not being detected?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman_sam81

I have run into this with quite a few (4-7) programs...

I'll do a system check/overview in the program(s) and it'll either say I need to upgrade DirectX (Sometimes to 8.xx, sometimes to 9). I have DirectX 9.0b installed (I did the upgrade to 9.0b first but decided to uninstall it and go with the full version, which can't be uninstalled).

What could be causing DirectX to not be detected?

The only thing I can think of (but have yet to test) is the fact that I have Intel Application Accelerator installed. It ticks me off too! That program actually does speed up the boot time and general program running, but I have run into a couple of really bad things that it causes:

A) I can't upgrade my CD R/RW, or my DVD+R/RW drives' firmware while IAA is installed. Rather annoying.

B) I get alerts from quite a few programs telling me that DMA is not enabled on drive <x>, which will effect the performance of blah blah blah. DMA is enabled!! (At least, according to IAA it is enabled on all drives)

Blah! This post probably wasn't even needed, unless any of you have had this problem and it wasn't due to IAA...:rolleyes:

Either way...feel free to comment! :D

That sux though...

IAA really does cause a very noticeable improvement in boot time, as well as overall program performance.

I think I'll just uninstall it; see if it is indeed what is causing it, then reinstall it. Do you think it will ever actually cause problems? If certain programs don't detect DX because of it...

The DMA issue is from something else. DirectX doesn't involve anything that could cause an issue with your burners.

I am not sure if you created a restore point before you updated the DirectX. If you did, try going back. That could fix your issues.

This issue has been there with all versions of DirectX I have had installed, to date. This includes (Correct me if I get a number, or two, wrong) 8.1, 8.5, 9.0a, and 9.0b.

The DMA issue, I know for a fact is due to IAA. When IAA is installed it takes over all control of the IDE controllers and the DMA level(s) can only be configured through IAA, itself.

I just don't understand why IAA affects programs detecting DirectX.

By the way, the game that finally got me to post this was Army Ops. When I run the "America's Army SystemInfo" it says that my version of DirectX is not up to date. I am thinking that this may just be due to bad coding. I have uninstalled IAA and reinstalled DirectX (Microsoft site said just to run the installation again and it would fix any changes, missing files, etc.) and it still says that my DirectX is "not up-to-date". The required version is 8.1.

LOL Then again, it also says I "may or may not need a newer video card. Just try it and see if it works." hahaha It is a Radeon 9800 Pro (Not for long though, it is getting shipped out tomorrow.).

Back