• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OCed P4 2.4B is too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoo_child

Registered
configuration:

P4 2.4B runing at 2.789Ghz
FSB is at 155
Vcore is at 1.675
Mem voltage is at 2.6
Mobo is ASUS P4PE

Idle temp = 55-57C
Load = 69C

and when it reaches 69 it usually reboots after staying there for a while. I have 2 back exhaust fans and 1 side panel fan. I use Intel stock heat sink/CPU fan

I'd like to know why my temp is so high compared to most people

As og right now I use HMonitor to throttle the CPU when it reaches 69C so that it doesn't reboot

Thank you

I would point to your stock heatsink. Its all aluminum, and while it is a good design, it is only reccomended for stock speeds (and less mild overclocks). You'll definitely see a large improvement if you were to upgrade to a copper alternative (See: ThermalRight, Swiftech, or Alpha)

Also, as usual I must stress that you should try reseating your heatsink once more. You also may want to scrape off the stock TIM (not sure if you're using it) and use a better material, such as AS3, the slightly better Ceramique or even spring for some PCM+. Lapping (correctly at least) never hurts! :D

Side Note:
Why is your FSB so low? The B models run at 533 stock, I thought?

Last edited:
I have a 2.4B as well and when I had it in my p4pe my temp would run at about 52C under load with a vantec aeroflow. I was running mine overclocked to 3.4GHz then too, but 52C was too high of temp for my taste so I went watercooling.

With the modest overclocking you are doing, I would think you could get much better temps if you get a real heat sink / fan combo. That is my guess as to where your temp problems are...

Also, some of the p4pe boards at least had a temp guage problem where they would read about 10C higher than actual temp. You might have one of those as well.

your voltage is pretty high... thats probably why your temps are so high. with voltage above 1.6 id say to pick up a better hs/fan. like slk8 or 900u

Welcome to the forums!!!

Try reseating your hsf. What's the ambient temp? It does sound kinda high.

I've heard the Northwoods die suddenly with too much voltage (1.7v) You might want to lower it a bit.

Copper heatsinks are very good but also very heavy. I have Zalman's CNPS 7000ALCu which is a combo aluminum and copper. It's quiet and works great. They also have an all copper version but way too heavy for my tastes (almost double Intel's weight specs for hsf) If you do upgrade, make sure you get good thermal compound. Nanotherm PCM+ and Ceramique are excellent choices.

-Bobby

I lowered my vcore to 1.6 and now my load temp is about 65C instead of 69-70C but still to high

case temp is about 33-37%

Also the thermal compound i;m using now is called
Artic Alumina (Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic )

is it any good ?

hey guys, thanks for the tips

I will go get that zalman cooler, I don;t think the termal compound will make a big difference anyway but I do need a btter heat sink and a high RPM fan

Can anyone tell me what is the max vcore to use for a OCed P4 2.4 B ???

Also max for meme voltage ??? I have 1GB of Mushkin PC2700, not the most expensive type though

The Zalman isn't the best (I think SLK900 is) but it's really quiet b/c it uses a 92mm fan at ~2600rpm which you don't have to buy seperately. You'd be suprised how much of a difference a good thermal compound is.

Personally, I wouldn't go past 1.550v on any Northwood. Especially if I use it everyday.

For memory, I use 2.75v and almost all memory will do at least 2.8v, in fact most recommend it now.

-Bobby

"Its all aluminum, and while it is a good design, it is only reccomended for stock speeds (and less mild overclocks). You'll definitely see a large improvement if you were to upgrade to a copper alternative (See: ThermalRight, Swiftech, or Alpha)"
Just because it's all aluminum doesn't mean it's bad, stock Britney HSFs are all aluminum, and they handle the 130w of heat from a Britney CPU very easily.
It's a good design with the bottom lapped to a mirror finish, and a very powerful Sunon fan for cooling.
The HSFs in rackmount servers with Britney CPUs are made out of copper with heatpipes and powerful blowers(like the one in the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra, but larger and more powerful), though.
I would suggest to first remove the stock fan and replace it with a powerful Delta.

Bobby said:
Welcome to the forums!!!

Try reseating your hsf. What's the ambient temp? It does sound kinda high.

I agree. There's no way you should be getting temperatures like that unless your heatsink isn't mounted properly.

My stock fan RPM

is 2311, is it low for overclocking ???

Is there anyway to increase the RPM ?? I looked in the BIOS but couldn;t find anything

I don't think that's abnormally low for a stock intel fan. My Zalman is running about 2650rpm but it's a 92mm fan.

There's an option in the bios to slow the fan speed. I forgot what the option is but it starts at 12/16 and goes down in 1/16th increments or you can turn it to full blast. I also have a different Asus motherboard so it might be a little different.

-Bobby

Ok,

jst went to Frys and got a ATT SF30 HSF with a copper core in the middle (couldn't find Zalman) and now my idle is 45-47C and load is 55C, much much better than 69C at full load, mobo temp is 34C at load

ambient temp is 77C

fan RPM is 7500 at full load according to HMonitor (bigger fan too 80x80x25 mm), is this right ? RPM = 7500 ???

Is this normal or is still too high ?? I would like to jack it up to 3Ghz but not sure what vcore to use and what mem voltage to use, any tips ???

P4 2.4B OCed at 2789 MHz
1GB Mushkin PC2700
ASUS P4PE mobo

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Wow. 5500rpm is pretty damn fast. What's the temp in your room? I think your other hsf just wasn't seated correctly. The temps still looks a bit high but it could be just the ambient temps in your room.

With my a/c going, I get 37°C load (folding) but when I turn off the a/c, my room gets to about 87°F and my cpu temps reach about 44°C load (again, folding). What kind of thermal paste did you use?

Most people are able to get to 3.0 - 3.1ghz on stock voltage (1.525v). Memory should be at about 2.7v.

-Bobby

The RPM is realy high now

it says 8000 RPM at one time, the spec says the fan is rated 3500-5200 RPM so i;m not sure how it got to 8000 RPM

It's been steady at 55C for about 10 mins at full load

Room temp is about 77C

I just used the thermal paste that came with the new HSF, figured it couldn;t be that bad since they marketed as a high performance cooler. THis HSF got fins that are around the copper core and not going upward like most coolers

If the system is stable with the new HSF, the room is not too hot, and neither are any of the temps.

As long as your computer is stable temps are meaningless. Motherboard sensors are awful.

Back