• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP1 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCFreek14

my friend downloaded SP1 and i was wondering if ne one knows if i can just copy the files from his pc to mine so i dont have to download them. and if this is possibly what files do i have to copy

If he downloaded the whole sp1 executable, yes, you can copy that to your computer and upgrade to sp1. If he used windows update, probably not. You can search for the windows update temp files on his HDD and try it. Does someone else know about the windows update option?

i used the windows update tool to install SP1 and in my Windows folder i have a "ServicePackFiles" folder, now i dont know if this folder is the temp files for SP1 from the windows update, you could try and copy this folder over to your computer if your friend used the windows update.

look around on the c and d drives aka your harddrive and look for "WUTemp" that may still have the executable in it. it may have been deleted after installation as part of the install cleanup.

yes he did download the file manually so where can i find the EXE?

You can also DL the Network Installer, which is what you probably want anyways, so you can apply SP1 it whenever you reinstall without having an internet connection. Just click on him ------> :cool:

That was just a polite way of telling him that its better to just download or have someone else download SP1 so that you dont have to run into this problem again. IF this was because he/she is using a pirated copy of XP & is afraid of SP1 not installing & working around this by using a host machine with a legal copy of XP then..... well he/she is not to be entertained.

no its not a boot leg copy of windows.... i just have a 56k connection and i dont want to download 150 MB :)

Get your friend to do it:) That's what friends are for right? Having the Network installer on file will make it easier in the future. It's also available for order & you get a CD with some Debug tools & more.

Back