• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOTS of Questions!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

Ok, I just hope I can remember them all...

First off, this has been bugging me a bit, if I run my fsb over 200, I not only get errors very quickly, but the computer spontaneously resets its self, as a quick system run down I have:

1700+
NF7-s v2
2x 256mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 ram
300w PSU - nothing special.
GF4 Ti 4600

as a note, it even does it when the ram timings are at "optimal" however I dont know the timings its meant to be, it only puts it to 7-7-2-2 I think or something like that? What should it be?

Also, changing ram timings to certain speeds causes the computer not to post, it restarts so it can save changes and just goes beep.... ... ... beep... ... ... beep, you get the idea, so I have to clear the CMOS and start again, any ideas on that?! (btw, that even happens when trying to set the timings to 10 or something, so its not just too faster timings it has trouble with)

Other things regarding BIOS settings...

I cant boot with APIC disabled, it just doesnt work - i get death screens : / What does it do / limit anyway - people keep saying to turn it off?

What does "CPU interface" do anyway - the tool tip for it says that it makes it use overclocked settings, wtf? I havent noticed it doing anything, does it actually do anything?

What does the "fsb spread spectrum" and equally the "agp spready spectrum" do?! does it matter if its at 1%, 0.5%, or off???

Enhanced PCI peformance... How does it enhance it, does it change any frequencies or anything? As I have no PCI cards, its off a the moment anyway.

I think thats all my questions on the BIOS so far...

Would further northbridge cooling be required? as far as I can see, there is no difference in temp or functionallity of the computer if I max the chipset voltage, it still restarts spontaneously at 200+ fsb (even at low multi) it just get worse quality sound at higher chipset voltages ...

Im thinking that my PSU might be the limiting factor, I think my rig is pushing it pretty hard and it might be producing "dirty" voltage which is ****ing it up??? Any recomendations?

Its 4 am, its hard to think at the moment, I will think of more questions later...

Get a better power supply, up the vcore to 1.75 at least, and try the memory timings at 8(tras), 4, 4, 2 (cas latency). I remember something about hyperx not wanting to do tighter timings even tho the fsb is underclocked for the ram.
[edit]
yikes, 3-2-2-2 timings, and 12x multiplier? no wonder you are getting errors. lower your multiplier like down to 9, see how high you can push your fsb. Higher fsb means better overall performance. If you are feeling really ambitious, lower your memory timings to 9-3-3-2.5. Those are extremly loose timings, and should allow you to push your fsb very high. The nf7 is good till about 230fsb before it needs a volt mod, and your 1700 shouldn't hold you back either. pc3500 memory is also good stuff.

Remember, Mhz don't make the difference, higher fsb's do.

MetalStorm said:
I cant boot with APIC disabled, it just doesnt work - i get death screens : / What does it do / limit anyway - people keep saying to turn it off?

If you installed the OS with APIC Enable you will not be able to disable it & get back into the OS properly. You will have to ReInstall with that feature DISABLED.

MetalStorm said:
Enhanced PCI peformance... How does it enhance it, does it change any frequencies or anything? As I have no PCI cards, its off a the moment anyway.

As with all ABIT ENHANCE ..... what it does is increase the BUS Speed on either PCI, AGP or CPU by .33MHz. It is safe most of the time.

What You Never Wanted To Know But Constantly Dared To Ask.

Get an Antec 430 True Power Supply, and like was said earlier you've got to loosen those timings up, on our boards a higher ?? timing is better anyways, that's been proven, I forget the timing name but it's the highest numbered one, the one you have set to 5 right now, jump it up to 11-3-3-2 and try from there

Thanks for that info, unfortunatly im still at a loss as to what APIC actually does... You said that I cant turn it off because I installed my OS when it was on, but what does it actually do?! is there an advantage to having it on or off?

Regarding power supplies, I know my PSU is being pushed pretty hard at the moment (its only 300w), but do you think that it is limiting my overclock in anyway ?? Im thinking that "dirty" voltage is causing my computer to reset when at high fsb :/

I will give those ram timings a go, and come back with the results later and tell you how I got on...

Thanks for your help people!

MetalStorm said:
Thanks for that info, unfortunatly im still at a loss as to what APIC actually does... You said that I cant turn it off because I installed my OS when it was on, but what does it actually do?! is there an advantage to having it on or off?

Basically all APIC does is "create" more IRQs to hopefully prevent any bad sharing. You can read about it HERE.

RAM Timings can not be generalized. You have to understand why tRCD is set to a higher latency unlike CAS which is set to a lower latency. The memory guide is one of the submenus in the BIOS Guide link. Shorter latencies work better for some & higher for others. Understand how the CAS, tRP, tRCD, tRAS & Command Rate relate to each other & you will have a better understanding on how to set your BIOS for optimum performance.

Back