• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-x00(A) vs (U)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The A versions use socket lugs, while the U versions use the mounting holes around the socket. The U stands for "Universal".

BRB with the answer to the second part of this question...

Last edited:
Where I'm looking, the U is $38 while the A is $34. I'm probably going to use SVC.com, anyone have any experience from them? I went to resellerratings.com and it has an 8.86 lifetime rating. The biggest problem with them is that everything is out of stock before you can get to it...

SVC is a good place to shop, a lot of people here shop with them.

The basic difference between the two heatsinks is that the 900 is made to take a 92mm fan, while the 800 only is made for an 80mm fan. An 80mm fan can still be used with the 800 however because the fan clips can be bent to make it fit.

There are other minor differences, but the only difference that really matters is that the 900 is considerably more expensive while only offering a VERY small performance improvement.

There was a good thread to a comparison between the two heatsinks, but I wasn't able to find it. :-/

You won't notice a huge diffrence in temp between the 800 and 900. Although I hear the slk900 can hold a 120 but not easy. Price is the biggest diffrence between the two.

The only difference between the two 800 series is the mounting like IMOG said. The U usually cost more because of the extra hardware it comes with.

The 900 doesn't come in an A format as its so damn heavy, it has a very large fin span on it and helps with cooling. Be careful if you go with the 900 as it may not fit on your board, be sure to check the thermalright site for a support list.

Thanks guys... I'm going with the SLK-800A and the Smart Fan II with the coolmod. My XP2100's burning up, going to 60C just sitting in the BIOS, with stock cooling.

I take it you are overclocking and you've changed your vcore, and thats why you have those temps right?

Just post again if you have any problems after getting the new HSF, and we can fix them for you. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :beer:

Nope, no overclocking... those temps are real

but after i upgrade the HSF i'll overclock

EDIT - I used to get 70C in the BIOS before I noticed a thick layer of dust blocking almost all airflow the the heatsink but after I cleaned it up I got 60 max... Plus I don't have any thermal grease between the HS and CPU, but all that will be there pretty soon.

I'm only 15 so I get an alowance... $50 a month. After the first I'll have about $110 because my Bday was the 18th and everyone forgot and I just want money so I'll start calling around.

Well thats sort of a problem. 60C is pretty high for stock cooling and stock settings.

Do you have any idea what the room temperature is?
(If you need to convert from fahrenheit to celcius go here: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/wgrfc/convert.html)

If the room temperature is high because you live in texas then you are fine, but otherwise you could have a problem with mounting or thermal paste - and you would have to correct this problem when you receive your new heatsink or your temps will still not be good.

EDIT: I just saw that you said you had no thermal paste in the TIM joint. ;)

I think the U and A mount on the socket the opposite way.. so the A is better if you have a huge *** NB hsf.

Back