• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did Excaliber screw me out of a rev 2.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitewulf

I've had the board for a few months. I just tried flashing the bios. I get this error message.

"The program file's part number does not match with your system!"

what gives?

it says v2.0 on a sticker. but its not actually etched onto the motherboard or anything. it said v2.0 on the box it came in. but with sandra, or wcpuid it shows the motherboard as v1.x. How can I find out for sure which revision I have?

I have tried flashing to the 1.6 and 1.7 versions of the bios. And yes, im absolutly positive that im using the correct ones.

i doubt they would switch stickers..or they would be in deep *****ola ...

i believe rev 2's show up as 1.2's or something on sandra...its annoying.

yeah, me too. im pretty sure that its a 2.0 but that begs the question of why can't I flash my bios? that error message sounds like its saying that the bios im trying to use doesn't match my motherboard. I still have the 1.0 bios. id kinda like to update that.

That'll happen if you use the wrong BIOS flash program - its happened to me before too.

That's a little strange because I get v 2.x in both cpuid and sandra:
cpuid
sandra

I've run into that error trying to flash a 2.0 board with a 1.2 bios and vice versa. Never heard of the wrong awdflash generating that error. I would think you'd be using the awdflash that came with the bios zip too. Hope it's as simple as that though :)

im using the awdflash that came with the bios version.

what's the Alt-F2 method?

Well I dunno about the Abit but on my Asus, you can hit Alt-F2 on the post screen and it will allow you to flash the bios - it is essentually a built in AWDFlash.exe.

This is the Abit NF7 page - really only contains revisions less than 2.0

abit01.jpg

Click there and you get this - this is the one you want.

abit02.jpg

If you downloaded it off of FTP, you may have gotten the wrong file(s).

I got it from the second picture there.... I checked like 5 times to make sure i was DL the correct one.

anyway, for whatever reason, using ALT-F2 worked. I don't understand why it would make a difference if boot to DOS or not. whatever, its flashed. thx for the help.

wow I love people that can't do things correctly and blame others like excaliberpc of screwing them over.. hehe its like the ones that blame newegg becasue there cpu can't do 1000mhz over the raided speed :(

Glad to hear your ok now tho :)

ok this is off topic now, but i feel the need to defend myself.

qwerty57,

I wasn't blaming excaliber (unless it really was the wrong motherboard). Based on the error message I was getting and every piece of software telling me it was a rev 1.x, i was getting a little confused. Or would you not have wondered what revision excaliber really had shipped you? The only proof I had was a sticker on the board/box.

I still can't think of a reason why using a boot disc to flash my bios shouldn't work. using alt-f2 did though so im happy, slightly confused, but happy.

nitewulf said:
ok this is off topic now, but i feel the need to defend myself.

qwerty57,

I wasn't blaming excaliber (unless it really was the wrong motherboard). Based on the error message I was getting and every piece of software telling me it was a rev 1.x, i was getting a little confused. Or would you not have wondered what revision excaliber really had shipped you? The only proof I had was a sticker on the board/box.

I still can't think of a reason why using a boot disc to flash my bios shouldn't work. using alt-f2 did though so im happy, slightly confused, but happy.

No need to defend yourself, I too would be somewhat concerned if the software was telling me I had something other than what I had PAID good money for ;)

As for your boot from DOS Question, the reason Rev. 1.6 & 1.7 needed to be done this way is because Abit has changed something in the way the FlashMenu prog. works :rolleyes: I myself lost an intire RAID 0 OS due to corruption on my HD's when trying to use FlashMenu Utility 8.23d which came with the Rev. 2.0 MB However, now the "FLASH Utility" reads 8.23k :eek: what exactly did they do to "change" the Utility? Beats me :p

All I know is once I started using the 8.23k "DOS" Flash Utility with BIOS Rev. 1.6 & 1.7 and NOT the "FlashMenu 8.23d program" I have had no more problems, and as the saying goes... (If something works, Don't FIX IT) heh

Hope that helps a bit!

DpGravy

Back