• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which pump to buy for this setup???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
the following is the setup im planning on getting, but i dont know which pump to get.

Pump ????????
CPU Block TC-4
Pump relay switch $18.00 cooltechnica
Radiator dtek pro core
120mm fan Aluminum Fan (80CFM 30dba)
T line T line
Tubing clearflex 60 tubing
Hose Clamps Steel wormdrive clamps
Coolant additives watter wetter
Teflon tape teflon tape

what pump would u recommend????

Last edited:
It depends, but I would use 1/2" tubing no matter what ;)

What it depends on for ME is cost factors-
I have tried a few pumps and become sold on Eheim- 1048 and 1250 both do very well, but part of what you are paying is the bullet-proof reputation. But they are an excellent choice.
Hydor is an up-and-comer for water cooling pumps: great performers, fairly low price and developing a rep as good as Eheim's- another year and they may well have it. ;) Hydor L 20 and L 30 are the popular models.

Danner and Iwaki also are pretty popular on the higher end of the spectrum; Via Aqua and Maxi Jet are popular on the low end.

Can you tell I have been researching pumps again myself? ;)

For price/performance reasons I am sticking with the mid-level pumps next time I buy- and I am going to go with the Hydor L 30 I think.....

I've got a Maxi-Jet running in my system, which is about identical to yours. Any of the common pumps would work very well, as long as you use some anti-corrosive agent. Hydors, Danners, Maxi-jets, Via-Aquas, etc. all cost a fraction of Eheims and work just as well, if not better.

I recommend the danner mag 2 or 3.......both will give great performance for that setup.

how about case room? there is really only 2 choices i would consider ( well maybe 3)
ehiem1250
Hydro L30 ( the one i have and its smaller than the eheim ith same characteristics basicaly)

and possibly a danner mag

ssgohan434 said:
there is no prob with case room. YOu think i really need one of those Ehiem 1250 and Hydor L30 for just cooling a computer?? (no gpu and chipset)

edit: ill maybe go to the Ehiem 1048 but not the 1250 or 1260.
The 1048 is a great pump. A bit weak, but a good solid reliable pump. You may want to look into a Danner Mag 3 though, much better specs and will push about twice as much water and cheaper too.

i am kinda high strung. when i do something i want to make sure it gets done right so even just for cpu i would do minor overkill but thats just me but it does mean if you change your mind that you do not have to change your pump when you upgrade

ssgohan434 said:

how about a Hydor L30 then???
Have no experience with it but it is not nearly as powerful as the Danner Mag 3. The L30 and the 1250 are nearly identical in specs, 6.3 foot head and about 30W. The Mag 3 has a 10 foot head and 35 watts. Up to you really but the Mag 3 is more powerful.

the extra power of having an L30 or a hydro will outweigh the possible extra heat added usualy and like i said if you add to yur system you wont have to upgrade.
the one pump i havent tried yet and i really want to is the iwaki r20 (well i havent tried the 15 either but you get the picture)

But for the same price or even a little cheaper you could have a danner mag 3. cheaper + more power. Go with mag 3

Back