• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my maze2 obsolete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saltedeggman

Registered
Now, the best wb out there is dtek's whitewater or cascade...

just wondering if i should replace my wb.

I am running 3/8 ID tube, with eheim 1048, maze2, heatercore with 80cfm 120mm fan without shroud, and a Dangerden reservoir.

That's up to you to decide. If you're getting good temperatures, why would you change.
If you're sattisfied with your maze 2, you should keep it.

Thats one of the beauties of water cooling :D

Older parts may lose their standing as "leading edge" or even as top performers but that does not mean that they are not up to the task!

Unless your temps are bad, which I doubt, there is no need to upgrade your block.
I mean, you wouldt get better performance from one of the leading edge blocks, but it might not be very cost effective.....

You may be able to improve your systems performance fairly cheaply though: change to 1/2" ID tubing and get a second fan for the rad, and two shrouds: that should drop your temp an easy 2c and perhaps as much as 5c, I would think.

For a cost of about $20 USD.

I suppose that if you really wanted to tweak your system you could try modding the block - like drilling some dimples above the core and maybe adding a nozel or restriction of some sort to the intake to increase water velocity. I'm still using a Maze 2 also and I'm tempted...if it doesn't come out well you have a real excuse to buy a new block!
Oh, and go 1/2" anyway.

but doesn't going 1/2" tubing meaning a new wb and new radiator. I am not too fond of modding anything as I don't have any appropriate tools to do so.

Well you only need to replace the barbs on everything. You should be able to find some with the right thread to just screw into the block, the radiator and pump may need more surgery than that. That's if you're really looking for something to do - OTOH, you're safe with the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it approach.

saltedeggman, I've done lots of testing with lots of different waterblocks, cpus, and mobos. Here's my experience: You might see about a 5 degree difference from a good waterblock to a great waterblock, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll increase your overclock much.

My general observations have been this. Going from high end air cooling (AX-7, SLK800/900) to good watercooling (maze2/3, spirals, db-2) will allow you to up the VCore and remain stable, leading to about 150-250MHz more clock speed.

Going from good watercooling to great watercooling (WW, Evo, Cascade) may yield you another 50-150 MHz increase. Until you go to extreme cooling (CPU temps below 0C) you won't see a huge increase in clock speed.

From looking at your system, I would say you will see the best "bang for your buck" by adding a shroud to your radiator, or possibly 2 in a push/pull configuration. Other than that, a Peltier may be your next best bet for a noticeable increase in CPU speed.

a shroud is a must-do mod, well i guess i am going to stick with my current setup for now since all the modification required

yes.... don't-fix-it-if-its-not-broken is a golden rule, i have broke many parts as a result of that

also, not considering tec's because of the insulation i have and constant fear (much worse than wc). I had use TEC with my old rig... insufficient insulation cause waterdrops to form underside of CPU. i told myself that is the last time for me to do TEC, haha

Back