• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question, opening 2 apps at once?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

Hey I have a really quickquestion, i'm using windows XP PRo... I was just wondering if there were anyway I could open 2 applications with 1 shortcut somehow. I was looking around at the shortcuts menus and couldn't seem to find a answer

You can do this using a batch file -
This example will open windows media player and MS word. You need to edit the path and program .exe

1. open notpad and place the following in the document

@echo off

Start /d "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player" /wait wmplayer.exe
cls
Start "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10" /wait WINWORD.EXE
exit

2. choose file - save as and save it whateveryouwant.bat

3. you can either just open the .bat file or hide it someone and create a shortcut to this file.

Hope this helps! I'm not the best batch writer but if you have any questions just ask

Make a shortcut of one of the programs you want. Go into its properties and under target after whats listed type "" and inside of the quotes type the location of the second program in the same format like the first program. Thats the only way I could think of. Not sure if it would work, though. Good Luck!

mdcomp said:
Make a shortcut of one of the programs you want. Go into its properties and under target after whats listed type "" and inside of the quotes type the location of the second program in the same format like the first program. Thats the only way I could think of. Not sure if it would work, though. Good Luck!

nope I tried that before replying with the batch file thing. :D

the batch file works but takes a couple mins to setup.

hmm I know the batch way is sort of the "dos" way of doing things, windows doesn't have a built in thing for it? I'll just use the batch if no one knows I guess

I was almost thinking about writing a program to do it

I don't understand why you don't feel comfortable following SinsFeelNatural's suggestion afa writing a batch file, and creating a shortcut to it. It seems to me to be the easiest way to start two applications from one shortcut. :)

I'm currently using the batch way, it is a good way but I thought microsoft would implement a way to do it with windows too though, so then when I close 1 program it would also close the other... i'm just a dreamer though =P

thanks for the help

Back