• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF? Led case fan, light up with no power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImportPsycho

I took out some LED fans to clean them.
I shot full blast of compressed air on to fan blades and they spun to full speed and the LEDs lit up like it was getting power.
LOL i didn't know it could do that.
Where is LED getting power from?
I thought LED need power from PSU?
cuz my Antec PSU has some 4 pin connectors what only has two wires connected and it says fan only, if I connect LED case fans to that, fans does spin but LED doesn't light up.
lol :D

I think I know what happened. A motor is basically a generator running backwards, so when you blasted it with air the motor span and generated a voltage, which was enough to turn on the LEDs. I think you were lucky to spin the fan the right way though - if you did it backwards then the voltage may have been enough to kill the LEDs.

Yeah I noticed the same thing when i cleaned em wiht my blow dryer. actually i tried both ways and the fans still work fine :cool:

Back