• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer lock-up, software problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Yesterday my computer started to lock up anytime between 1-30 mintues when in windows XP pro sp1.
I not sure why this is happening but I think it could be software related, since when everytime I try and open a zip file the computer frezzes. Only the mouse pointer will move briefly at this point, every few seconds. Also the hard drive light stays on.
It will even lock up even if I leave the computer sitting idle!

Im sure the rest of the system is ok, still able to run memtest86 for 12 hours last night.
Even set everything to stock settings.
I tryed doing a system restore to and earlier date, I had no luck.

I would suggest running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and hit OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click the error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread. ;)

microfire, this might help you:

I've had something like this happen before with zip files. Are you using the default XP "zip" program, or did you install another program, like winzip or winrar?

If you are using the stock zip compression, and you have LARGE zip files sitting in the drive root or a commonly accessed folder, XP will hang that explorer window (at least) until it is done parsing, checking, expanding or whatever its doing with the file.

I had a 1.8GB "zip" file in the root of one of my logical drives. Explorer would hang for like 30 seconds everytime I just viewed the drive contents. After moving it to a sub folder, viewing the drive returned to normal without any delay. I also installed winzip and had it associated with zip files. Now the files are no longer "previewed."

I also think there is a folder option regarding not expanding compressed folders automatically. I tried that and it still hung for me.

Hope this helps.

ok, sorry I took so long to respond, I was trying a few things.

I removed audio drivers I installed the day before all the trouble started and when back to my older driver set. I also updated my Highpoint374. Then I removed winzip.
Seems to stopped the locking up but now my system randomly reboots when leaft idle!

So then I check my hardware more:
I passed 17 hours with memtest86
I ran ATI chimp demo last night for 14 hours, no lockups. Then 30 mintues after I exit the ATI chimp demo and leaft the system idle, it rebooted.

-------

I tryed what you said:
eventvwr.msc and that got me into the same program as in control panel Event Viewer, right?
I wrote down the 2 newest errors, one from application and one from system. I think that these errors might have occured during bootup?

Application:
Error - Ture Vector Engine
The description for the Event ID (1) in Source ( True Vector Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the reigistry information or message DLL files to display message from a computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for detail. The following information is part of the event.

System:
Error - Service Control Manager
The Radclock service depends on the Radeon Probe Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

-------------

Update (4hrs on)
Went into XP pro's options and switched off reboot on error.
Played UT2003 and Quake3 also for 2 hours, done general web surfing. Everythings fins
Then I leaft computer idle on desktop for appox 30mins - computer frezzes up then BSOD short time afterwards:
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

How do I fix it all?

Last edited:
Afa the KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR, the following MSKB article may be of some help to you...

Troubleshooting "Stop 0x00000077" or "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR"

The "True Vector Engine" is a component of the Zonealarm firewall. I'd uninstall it and see if the errors persist...if the errors go away (and they should), then reinstall the latest version of ZA and see if the problem reoccurs. I was getting the same errors when I had ZA installed, and have since been using Sygate's free version of their firewall with no problems.

Check to make sure the "Radeon Probe Driver" service is set to "Automatic" or "Manual" under the "Startup type", in the "Properties of the above service...Start | Run | Type services.msc and hit OK | Right click the above service and select "Properties". I'd also do the same with the "Radclock" service...set it to "Automatic", so it starts automatically at each boot.

Last edited:
thanks for you excellent help. I just tryed what you posted.
No luck :( ,but it did get rid of the error message :)
I think there must be something seriously wrong with my operating system.
If it not that then im starting think that there could be a problem within the hardware of either my raid controller or sata drives. I would doubt since I can still run games or 3d graphical demos without crashing, lockups, or reboots.
How can I reinstall xp pro without deleting programs, emails,and settings? Is it possible to reinstall sp1, maybe this could be a solution.

Just a thought, but you might want to run Seagate's HDD diagnostic utility on the drives in the array. Whether or not their utility can perform diagnostics on drives that make up an array...I don't know for sure. I know Maxtor's Powermax utility won't work on drives in an array...the array needs to be broken in order for the utility to even see the drives, much less perform diagnostics on them.

Also, check to make sure the RAID drivers you're using correspond to the RAID BIOS revision...in that they're not mismatched. A mismatched RAID BIOS/RAID driver set can cause all sorts of problems similar to what you're describing. Say you've got a HPT RAID controller onboard...download the HPT drivers from the board manufacturer and not HPT, and make sure they match (are compatible with) the installed BIOS revision. :)

Last edited:
I gave the diagnostic utility a go, there didn't seem any features to repair it with seagate disc wizard.
I gave nortons utililies scan disc a go, my computer would lock up apon scan.
Tryed lastest bios and older bios, they could not detect my raid array. This was strange since in the passed I could change to any bios whenever I wanted to and the array would be detected. Might be cause I switched to 32k stripe and created it with modded D6 bios with HPT374 bios v3.01 included a couple of months ago.

Now that I had run outta options and also taking to much time looking for a solution. I decided to start fresh.
Lucky for me I had disconnected one of my 60gb drives and had made a backup of my system 2 months ago. I had forgot about this.
I created a new stripe this time of 16k. Then I ghosted over my backup.
Everything is now fine, leaft computer on overnight and not one crash or lock up. Perfect!
Only problem is its a back dated version of what I was running.

In the end, I almost certain now that my system operating files were damaged. By what? I really will never know. I can only guess. I suspect a few things, but cannot know for sure.

btw. The system/raid bios and HPT drivers are the same what I have always run for months without problems. bios: v3.01 and driver v3.02

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back