• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I save to CD-R the Windows updates Ive just spend hours downloading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster.

Can I save to CD-R the Windows updates Ive just spend hours downloading?

Hi,
Is it possible for me to save to a CD-R all of the Windows updates ive just downloaded from the Windows update site?
If so, can you tell me where to find them on my HD, and what to do with them.

I'm using Win XP pro and Nero as the burning software.

Thanks for any help.

Is it possible for me to save to a CD-R all of the Windows updates ive just downloaded from the Windows update site?
If you mean updates that were installed by Windows Update, then unfortunately no...but you can download the updates and save them to your HDD, so they can be installed from there instead of Windows Update. Normally, I'll find out which updates I'm going to need (by way of Windows Update), write down the update number (which usually refers to a MSKB article number) i.e. Q123456, then search for the update(s) in this manner...

"Windows Update" site | Select "Personalize Windows Update" | Select "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also" | Click the "Save Settings" button | Select the "Windows Update Catalog" link from the LH pane | Select your OS from the menu, and which updates you'd like to search for...this is where you can locate the updates that you wrote down previously. By using this method, you can save all the updates to your HDD instead of having to go through Windows Update after each reinstall of Windows.

After you save all the updates to your HDD, then you can burn all of them to a CD-R. You might also want to create a seperate partition on your HDD for the updates...this way they won't get wiped out after subsequent reformats. :)

Last edited:
Back