• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to improve cooling ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is your CPU overclocked and what temperature is it (IE socket or thermistor on CPU die)? What motherboard and hardware monitoring system are you using?

Off the top of my head 49C is about average for temps, but with that Zalman you really should be getting lower than that. Depends on your CPU type and speed though.

I am overclocking wright now;)

P4 2.4C -- P4P800 Deluxe --2x 256 3500 Corsair -- Hercules 9800 Pro.

265 FSB and Vcore 1.6

And I have a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Socket-cooler.

HvH.

I wonder about that Slot-cooler it blows hot-air out, under my Vid-card ????

WOW nice system. - Is your processor at a hefty 3.1Ghz?

I don't know much about Intel systems right now, but that seems OK with that setup. That 9800Pro will be kicking out a lot of heat so it's no wonder the air coming out will be warm.

aznchaos said:
Most people dont recommend slot coolers. I think you need more intake also.

Why are the slot-coolers not recommended ????

HvH;)

That intake....through the side ???

I dunno why they are not reccomended, and a intake on the side blowing on the cpu would help

They are not recommended because they are either too loud or do not blow enough air, most often the second. Also they suck air away from a video card, but your standard video card cooling blows air at the card.

By design neccesity they are very innefficient - they need to be thin in the direction they output air. This is in direct conflict with a "normal" fan, which is relatively very large in the direction it pushes air.

If you want extra GPU cooling, a side panel intake pointed at the video card is usually best.

Last edited:
it would be a good idea to add a fan or 2 to the front or side, 3 exaust and 1 intake isn't going to flow air well enough to cool a 3.2ghz to low temps

The slot coolers just aren't good because they are sucking air out of the case when they're at the bottom where the air is already cooler than the top of the case, afterall, it is under the CPU. They just create an imbalance of airflow I guess.

I really I would recommend an equal amount of intake and exhaust. Having 200CFM of exhaust and 50CFM of intake is worst than having 100 in and 100 out even though it's 50CFM more.

Just to get an idea, your case temps should only be 2-3 celius above ambient.

Thanks for your great help;)

When I want a side-blower I must make a whole in it ??

Its metal you know...isn't easy I think:p

Do you know good articles about Cooling, and how to do it yourself ??

HvH;)

Are there Pictures......how others did it, they tell offen more then words:)

you need same amount of intakes and exhaust. better to have efficient cooling than alot of airflow

Not neccesarily. Running negative pressure, more going out than in, can be more beneficial in some setups than others such as in my setup. I have 4 exausts and two intakes, plus one passive duct to the hsf.

It all comes down to experimentation to see which setup, positive, negative or neutral would work best for you.

Hmm, in actuality, it looks like you have one intake (case fan up front) and one exhaust + PSU + barely nothing, so your system really isn't so imbalanced for airflow as we may initially suspect. (Please correct me if I'm wrong in understanding the top exhaust to be via the PSU.)

As for good articles, an excellent place to begin is in the cooling stickies section.

As for a side intake, yes, you'll need to go through metal. It's not quite so bad as you might expect, but it does require time and patience, especially if you want a round hole without a lot of scuffs. :) It can be done very patiently with a dremmel. More ideal would be an electric hole saw. I don't have one myself, so I can't comment on specifics there.

My personal recommendation would be to put a fan in your side panel roughly directly above the HSF, and I would go 80mm or larger. It is also a good idea to cut a piece of cardboard that fits your side opening (same size as your panel) and practice the fan placement on that first. That way, you can prototype a bit and find the best location for that fan.

Best of luck!! -- Paul

Strida said:
If you needed more intake you can always put some fans in your empy 5 1/4 inch bays. There is a post that deals with this somewhere.

empty 5 1/4 inch bays ????
Space at the front...to put a DVD-player (empty space) ??

Don't know what post you mean.....sorry;)

HvH.

Last edited:
Usually you don't use every single 5 1/4 inch bay that holds things such as your CD-R, DVD, etc..

In this case, if you have 2-3 extra slots in the front of the case, melt the plastic inserts together that block the bays, then cut a fan hole for whatever size of fan you have room for. This blows cool air directly torwards your CPU, and is especially good if you have a long video card that blocks a lot of air coming up from the bottom front of the case.

Look around, there is a post that explains everything in detail.

Back