• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KD7 Raid Array Setup Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferrett

Registered
Hi
How can i use the raid channles as extra ide channles. I want to run a single hard drive per channel and dont want to go full raid. I thought i could do this by setting up two stripped 0 raid arrays.I think im doing somthing wrong.Could someone give me a step by step please.
Thanks
Ferrett

The raid controller will work with single drives outside of raid. You never even have to enter the Raid configuration bios to do this. You just have to plug them in, enable the raid controller in bios (if it was ever disabled) and have the driver disk handy if the drivers were not previously loaded. (Watch for the prompt during W2K or XP install to press F6 for other drivers.) Also, if you want to boot from one of the disks, you set the boot sequence to include the ATA RAID option.

Note: Never attach optical drives to an IDE raid controller.

I think you misunderstood the concept of RAID, to setup a stripe you need 2 drives but if all you want are the HDDs using the RAID Controller as normal IDE Controllers then there is no need to stripe them.

What I would like to add to what Graphic67 posted above is to make sure your Boot Sequence is,

CDROM
ATA133RAID
ATA133RAID

Do watch out for the prompt to press F6 for you to be able to install the RAID Controller Drivers & make sure you use the same revision of the High Point RAID BIOS. If you running the most current & stock KD7_DN.BIN then you will need the HP2.32 Drivers. Unzip the package to a Floppy & make sure you have everything there. There is no other way of installing the drivers asides from a Floppy drive.

Hi
Thankyou guys
Ive set it up as you describe and now have 6 ide devices running im weel happy.
Thanks
Ferrett

I'm glad we could help & that your running how you intended. If you have anymore tech questions about the board don't hesitate to ask:beer:

Back